Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

.VXD error after installing Windows 98 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nomi2000

ISP
Feb 15, 2001
CA
Dear
I am gettign .vxd files errors after i setup Windows 98 OEM Second Edition,how i get rid of it,i alwayz getting this when i start the computer plesae help
Regards
Nouman

Did you install a NIC in the computer? Because an unclean NIC install smoetimes gives you vxd errors like: dfs.vxd, vredir.vxd, vnetsup.vxd and even a msnp32.dll error. If you are getting those errors you need to remove those vxd's from the registry trough regedit.

What are the error messages? "More Than Merely Names"
YOU ARE NOT FORGOTTEN

dear shuck
What do you mean by install NIC? (u mean Network Interface Card)
How can i remove these .vxd errors from Registry?
give me the KEY to search and edit or delete the key so i should not get these error messages each time i open the computer
Regards
Nouman

Go to START - RUN -REGEDIT

Inside regedit go to Edit tab and down to Find. Then type in one of the vxd errors that you are getting. It will find it in the registry and when it does you delete it. I just want to be sure they are the errors I listed in my prior post.
Backup your registry to a floppy first just in case.

What type of *.vxd errors are you getting?

Usually I get them because of MISSING .vxd files.

I would suggest you check your C:\windows\system\* folders to see if the .vxd files are there. AND in my case,

CHECK FOR DUPLICATE .VXD FILES!!! Sometimes if I have multiple copies of the same .vxd file, I get the error.

I usually check the system for any missing or problem drivers.

Usually it is our monitors.

I remove all problem items from the device list and reboot the computer.

It reinstalls the missing drivers and asks for the Windows CD. This time it seems to work.

We need to know the EXACT error report and VxD reported as giving the error to help you.

Now, you can find VxD entries in the following location. I am giving this to you now but DO NOT change anything until we figure out exactly what is wrong:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VxD

almost every registered VxD will be there. BUT DON'T MESS WITH IT unless you know exactly what you are doing. YOU CAN DAMAGE THE ABILITY OF WINDOWS TO RUN AT ALL.

That was very serious.

We'll tell you what you have to do to fix your problem. But don't start without us.

Your mileage may vary...

Dear Fellows
l let me say i got this error b/c windows 98 was not properly installed so what i want is to just tunr off these messages which are coming when i start my computer,i am getting about two messages i don't exactly have the messages now but will post it in my next thread...tell me what these .vxd files errors are about? are they realted to the device drivers? suppose if one of my device is not working properly then do they come again and again unless i disabled that device? and more important can i by reding the .vxd file name detect which device is conflicting?
thanks and Regards
Nouman

maybe another simpler way is to edit win.ini or system.ini file.this is if your computer works fine even after getting these vxd error messages.
goto start>run.type sysedit.you will find a list of (5)files.the missing vxd file is probably in one of these files most probably in win.ini or system.ini .backup the file in anycase,delete the line and that may solve the problem.

VxD are the 32 bit vitual device drivers (as you thought). When they install they 'vitualize' the hardware - in other words, they take complete control of the hardware resource and then only allow access to that resource through it.

So, for instance, the vkd.vxd is the keyboard VxD. It takes control of the keyboard interrupts, keyboard controller interfacing and BIOS keyboard handlers and then only allows access to the keyboard via itself.

This is one of the 'secret', hidden ways that modern multitasking OS's work. If a program was trying to access a hardware device itself only one at a time could do it, as the program need full control during its access. The VxD routes all requests and then feeds the information back to the program. So multiple software threads can call the same device, but the hardware only sees one - the VxD.

The OS is made up of 'rings', planned in a 'stack'. Each ring can access the ring above, but not the ring below. The VxD's operate in Ring 0, the lowest level where all core OS functions are. They are supposed to be protected (this is where you get 'protected mode' operation) from programs running above it, which are not as crucial. But Windows' memory protection kinda stinks, and that is where you get the Blue Screens from - the OS failed to protect the memory, and therefore the functionality, of a core component running in Ring 0.

(I am trying to say all this in nice readable terms) VxD's are the very core of how things work - this is why you cannot just fool around with them. You have to know what is happening or else.

The errors you've received are, as suggested, probably related to the network stack. The simpliest way to remove those errors, indeed if it is the network, is to completely remove all network components, reboot, reinstall, reboot.

But sometimes it's other problems - that with the error report I can help. It is not a crucial IOS system, as if it were Windows wouldn't run at all in protected (normal) mode.

Yes, you can figure out what is happening via the error messages - but, sometimes, a problem here causes an error there. The driver stack on Windows is so complicated 1 weak link can cause a cascade failure, which is hard to find.

You can indeed look in system.ini for bad VxD errors - but only legacy 16 bit program VxD installs will be there - all other 32 bit drives must write their VxD entries into the Registry, as per Microsoft's compatability directive (OK, some just don't listen...)

Your mileage may vary...

dear dinosnake
thanks for ur helpful post it give why these vxd errors occurs but isn't the resposiblity of OS to check if the device is not operating it should disable it? :) my comments though b/c its very frustating to get back these messages i don't know but what will occur if i know what device is causing the prob and i disabled it ,does the messgaes vanished?
okay i think i found the error its becuase one of my RAM is not working properly and is fauly thats why OS is not installed properly and giving me these errors i replaced it and again installed and now everything is fine..but please let me know the q i asked so in future if i get these errors i can go ahead by diabling the device causing the problem?
thanks again for all
Nouman

Yes, it would be nice if the OS would disable the VxD if the device isn't working - but the OS does not get that kind of active feedback from a device. Some devices, such as the IDE interface, the mouse, the keyboard and other things do give a kind of feedback - they will send correct, valid information to the OS once correctly intialized. However many other components aren't completely active when initialized and do not give enough, or the correct type, of feedback for the OS to correct sense operation until it tries to use it - but by then it is too late. The resource is unavailable and will cause the system to go unstable from there.

Yes disabling the device will sometimes work. But understand that some programs install VxD's to add functionality to the OS and therefore are not directly attached to a resource. So turning off the offending device still may leave that 'floating' VxD to cause a problem. Virus programs, system monitors, 'crash guards' (these never work), communications devices and others do this. And I personally hate every darn one that does.

For instance, shutting down a virus program only shuts down the interface between its lower level detection components (like the VxD) and the identification engine, which is high level. The VxD is not shut down.

Also disabling the device will disable the VxD that takes direct control - there is no guarantee that other VxD's the device uses will be disabled as some VxD's share functionality between many devices, so the can't be disabled or other things will be lost.

This is kind of complicated, huh??

So yes, if you have a problem try shutting it down. But that's a 50-50 try with Windows.

Your mileage may vary...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back