Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VTools.ini

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 29, 2004
US
Where does this file get it's info from??
It correctly listed Macola data as M:\macsql\data_10\file.ddf and now all of the sudden it is changing for my users to c:\macapps\macsql\data_10\file.ddf. Of course, this makes things not work.

I have changed the line in the vtools.ini file to the correct path, but it somehow changes itself back.

I blew away the user's profile (we use terminal services for Macola), and made sure the default user profile has the correct path. The user logged in, built a new profile, and it was working properly.

Now another user's vtools.ini is changing.

What in the world is going on???

Christine

If the path in vtools.ini is changing to a UNC path, I would verify that they are starting Macola from a mapped drive and not a UNC path. Icon's that have worked in the past with a drive letter have been known to "change" all of a suddenly to a UNC path.

Since you are on a TS, are the Macola programs installed locally on the TS or just on the mapped drive on the server.

Kevin Scheeler

Macola is installed on the TS (to get rid of the load errors).

Not changing from mapped drive to unc path - changing from M:\macsql\data_10\file.ddf to c:\Macapps\macsql\data_10\file.ddf.

Christine

Sounds like it is running from the macola program server.

Check the path of the short-cut for macola on your server. Likely c:\macapps\macsql should map m: to macapps or subst m: to said directory. Then install macola if you need it on your server.

JillofAllTrades

Hello, Let me see if I understand.
Macola is installed on the TS (to get rid of the load errors).

Not changing from mapped drive to unc path - changing from M:\macsql\data_10\file.ddf to c:\Macapps\macsql\data_10\file.ddf.

Is this to say that the TS server is the macola application server for both TS users AND local net users?

Andy Baldwin

"Testing is the most overlooked programming language on the books!

Yes, that is correct.
Everyone connects to this server via RDP to run Macola, which is installed on this server. The database resides on a separate server.

Oddly, this now just keeps happening to the same one user. He is working away fine, and then the next time he logs in his shortcut has been changed to point to C:\MACAPPS\macsql\pwe.exe instead of M:\macsql\pwe.exe.

I have a suspicion that maybe he launches Macola before his drives are done mapping. ???

Christine

Check his profile and see if he added a shortcut to the desktop outside of the one installed during the client installation. In otherwords the user created his own shortcut and it is wrong. I would expect to see the shortcut in the start menu to be different than the one on his desktop. If so try and delete his shortcut and recreate it by copying the one from the start menu.

Andy Baldwin

"Testing is the most overlooked programming language on the books!

I have deleted his shortcut and recreated it myself. But he logs into terminal services and it somehow changes back to C:\....

The only way to resolve it seems to be to delete his profile altogether and have it recreated from the Default User profile.

Christine

Still happening.
[banghead]
[cry]
[curse]
I see someone with the same issue here: thread96-1004101

Christine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back