Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VSS - "find in files" - multiple files?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeveloperDood

Programmer
May 24, 2004
US
in VSS, there is the command "find in files"

there is more than one file I have to search for, and each search can take up to 4 or 5 minutes. is there any way to search for multiple files at once?

or is there a way to create a script to search for multiple files and save the text reports? and if so where would i write and implement the script? For example, does VSS support VBA?

thanks in advance

Do you mean that you want to search in multiple files at once? If you want to search for a string inside multiple files, then you can select all the files in a project that you want to search through and then go to Tools->Find In Files... You can also select a project on the left side and then go to Tools->Find In Files... and it can search in that project and recursively in sub projects.

If you wanted to search for different strings across files, I'm not sure if that's possible.

As far VSS supporting VBA, it does have an automation interface. The MSDN info on it is at:

Well, to sum up, I want to search in all the files in my VSS for references to multiple files.

For instance, I want to search for hyperlinks to "document.pdf" and "anotherdocument.pdf" in a website of about 14,000 files.

I am basically looking for a way to step up the functionality for "Find in Files" to search for more than one file at a time without me having to babysit the computer and save each report for each file.

The website is so big, each search takes like 4 minutes. I want to run a script that searches for the references to my PDFs, even if it's like 10 PDFs.

Maybe writing a program in Visual Basic is the answer? I don't know if VSS supports VBA.

thanks,
--dd

Hmm.

Well, I know how VBA works but have never really used VB. Your links to the Microsoft site only talk about VB, so I'll assume VSS doesn't actually support VBA.

Your links to the Microsoft site talk a lot about the "automation interface" as you call it, but I believe this is a software interface that only VB can utilize, as opposed to a GUI for writing code such as VBA.

How would I go about building an app with VB? Would I have to use Visual Basic Studio or whatever it's called?

Sorry about that. I'm not all that familiar with VB or VBA. I just assumed that either could tap into the COM automation to make sourcesafe do what you wanted. Besides, I'm not sure that the find in files functionality is exposed through the automation anyway.

Beyond that, if a regular expression can't encompass all the strings (i.e. links to files) that you need, then I personally don't know of another way using VSS. Hopefully somebody else does.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back