Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VSS eventid 12289 and vssadmin 'Catastrophic failure'

Status
Not open for further replies.

pvanos

MIS
Jun 6, 2002
BE
I obtained the following error after every server reboot:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: VSS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 12289
Date: 7/01/2009
Time: 14:59:36
User: N/A
Computer: FPSERVER
Description:
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Unexpected error LookupAccountName( NULL, HIVT\admin, NULL, p, NULL, p, p). hr = 0x800706fc.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at

In addition, when running command "vssadmin list writers", I obtained a "Catastrophic failure".
It was not possible to open the tab "Shadow Copies", for properties on C: in diskmgmt.msc.

Reason: the Server 2003R2 SP2, named FPSERVER, was a member server, and had recently been migrated to a different domain.
After a lot of research, I discovered a registry entry that was still carrying the old domain admin account name.

Regkey : HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\VSS\VssAccessControl[/color green] containing value:
HIVT\admin REG_DWORD 0x00000001(1)
Renaming this to the correct NEWDOMAIN\admin solved the issue.

This problem became very ennoying as it was also preventing me from installing the DHCP database on this machine (I wanted to migrate the DHCP server from the old domain to this server on the new domain).

TIP: first open Windows.
Only then throw your computer ;-)

In addition the following errors in eventvwr,
System log :
Source=DCOM EventID=10010
Source=Service Control Manager EventID=7024
might be related to the above mentioned VSS error.

to itsp1965:
I started this thread as a tip.
It's a description of a problem I encountered, and how I solved it.
Just for the benefit of others who might run into this problem.
Thanks for your reply.

LOL!!!! PVanos, sorry about that... after re-reading your thread I realized you resolved it. My apologies and thanks again for sharing your tip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back