Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VSS errors in Event Viewer

Status
Not open for further replies.

onebigdog

Technical User
Jan 16, 2003
US
I run a cloud backup program IDrive, unfortunately after each scheduled backup, an entry in Event Viewer will show up if I have any of the files or programs that I have set to be backed up are opened at the time of backup:

Event Type: Error
Event Source: VSS
Event Category: None
Event ID: 12293
Date: 7/2/2012
Time: 1:30:36 PM
User: N/A
Computer: BM
Description:
Volume Shadow Copy Service error: Error calling a routine on the Shadow Copy Provider {b5946137-7b9f-4925-af80-51abd60b20d5}. Routine details IVssSnapshotProvider::IsVolumeSupported() failed with 0x8000ffff [hr = 0x8000ffff].

I have run Chkdsk /r thinking that there may be a hard drive issue...nope.
I've tried to re-register some of the files associated with Volume Backup.
I've followed a few suggestions to delete certain registry entries that may have become corrupted.
I've made sure that VSS service is set to automatic and started and MS Shadow copy is not disabled. All with no change.

I also run Norton Ghost each day, but it doesn't trigger an event error at all.
Any suggestions at this point is appreciated.
XP Pro SP3
BM

one site suggested that I go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\EventSystem\{26c409cc-ae86-11d1-b616-00805fc79216} and delete it then restart MS shadow, VSS and a few other items in Services to rebuild this key. Didn't help.
I saw this post about MBRWizard, however, I was concerned about messing with the MBR.

Besides...if I was having boot problems (I'm not) why wouldn't I just do the following and not have to pay for this MBRWizard program:

Enter Windows XP Recovery Console.

When you reach the command prompt (detailed in Step 6 in the link above), type the following and then press Enter.

fixmbr

The fixmbr utility will write a master boot record to the hard drive that you're currently using to boot into Windows XP. This will repair any corruption or damage that the master boot record may have.

Take out the Windows XP CD, type exit and then press Enter to restart your PC.

Assuming that a corrupt master boot record was your only issue, Windows XP should now start normally.

I've discovered why the VSS error happens, I just don't know how to fix it.

I’ve set up a hidden encrypted drive (Drive Z:\) on Drive C:\ using Truecrypt. In this encrypted hidden drive I’ve installed two very important programs with client database files that I want to protect.

When I boot up the computer in the morning…the only hard drives you see in “My Computer” is the boot drive (Drive C:\) and two internal storage drives (Drive F:\ and Drive G:\). Once I type my password in TrueCrypt to de-crypt (mount) the Truecrypt Container that resides on Drive C:\, then the hidden drive (Drive Z:\)will become visible. You will see Drive C:\ , Drive F:\, Drive G:\ and now Drive Z:\ in “My Computer”.

If Drive Z:\ is decrpted (mounted), when the hourly scheduled IDrive backup occurs, I get a VSS error in Event Viewer whether the database files in Drive Z:\ are opened or not. (See Event Viewer Error in original post.)

Please note, that as long as Drive Z:\ is decrypted (mounted) and the database files are not opened, at the time of the scheduled backup, they will get backed up even though Event Viewer still shows a VSS error. If, however, the database files are opened at the time of the backup, then they are not backed up and I again get the VSS error.

If I don’t have Drive Z:\ decrypted (mounted) then there is no VSS error. Of course, the Activity Log, in IDrive says that it can not find the data base files in Drive Z:\ (obviously Drive Z:\ is not decrypted) so the files were not backed up. Apparently Truecrypt has a problem with IDrive or IDrive apparently has a problem with Drive Z:\ (Truecrypt) and causes the VSS error.

Anyone have a solution for not being able to backup an open file from a Truecrypt decrypted container? I also use Ghost and it doesn't have this problem. By the way, as a test, I opened one of these programs in Drive Z:\ then did a cut and paste of the database file to another drive and had no issues doing that.

Any ideas what I can do to resolve this VSS error of open files in a Truecrypt environment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back