Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VSP seems to be more trouble than value ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 24, 2002
GB
We have moved from OTM to VSP recently (in fact, we had OTM disabled on servers with large volumes of data as it was too slow and unreliable so Veritas told us a move to VSP would be the way forward). Since deploying VSP, we have had a number of NTFS corruptions reported (could be a co-incidence, or that the backup is causing them to be reported rather than causing the corruption itself), but now we have lots of backup problems with errors 13 and 14 (file read and write errors). I have not yet risked adding it back onto the large fileservers, and I'm now beginning to think about switching it off altogether. Is anybody out there happily using VSP in large datacentre environments, and if so, what's the magic answer !!??

Our magic answer was to turn off VSP. You have to have available space for VSP cache and the file can become quite large. VSP also appears to slow down backups considerably...including the initial directory/file read time prior to the backup actually moving data. We tried VSP first on 4.5 fp6 and turned it off. backups ran much faster and we saw fewer problems with backup errors...network times, status 14 file read errors etc.
Recently we upgraded to 5.1 mp1 and VSP is turned on by default and can only be turned off by adding the client to the master server client list. Not a good change in my opinion. We have over 400 clients and listing each one in the master server client list is a real drag. We attempted using VSP on small clients, many files, large clients few files etc.... and could find no real use for it other than slowing down backup performance.
Hope this helps in some way.

Columbia Data Products, Inc. manufacture of OTM for Veritas has a free stand alone eval of PSM that takes of the performance issues on large environments. OTM was never designed for that. Contact CDP at and request a free eval. Or call 800-613-6288

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back