Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vsftp users cannot change directory at logon 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

steinshouerj

IS-IT--Management
May 22, 2003
US
I have a vsftp server setup on Fedora Core 2. I setup the vsftp.conf file to chroot users to thier home directory. When I go to login via the ftp client. It reads "cannot change directory:/home/user." If I add the user to the root group than it works fine. I dont want to do this for security reasons. The users has read/write/execute permission on their home directoies. Can anyone tell me what I am missing?

do they have a bin/ and a lib/ directory in their /home/user -dir? If you chroot, their chroot-dir is their '/'-dir, and all binaries they need have to be in their /bin (a shell at least, ...).

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

Thanks for the input. I also forgot to mention that if I logon as anonymous it works. The anonymous user is chrooted to the default ftp directory which does not have bin/ and lib/ directories. This is new to me so sorry if I am not understanding correctly.

Perhaps it's my fault.
For the system-chroot command, you need a bin and lib dir.
Either you don't need it for the ftp-chroot, or there is another setting handling anonymous users?

I used chroot only very few times, and I'm no profi in ftp-server setup too.

Perhaps there are settings in /etc/ftpchroot, /etc/ftpusers?

seeking a job as java-programmer in Berlin:

I'm goint to guess that the problem is with the user accounts. Some how the shell access may have been changed to /sbin/nologin. Open /etc/passwrd and look at the last entry in each line. It should have /bin/bash or whatever shell you want.

Thanks for the advice! I checked my log files. The following was listed in the security log. It shows that pam is denying it access. I do not know much about PAM authentication. Is this something I have to have. If so, how can I configure PAM to allow access to these users?

Jun 1 07:34:39 localhost vsftpd[5699]: pam_succeed_if: requirement "uid < 100" not met by user "ftpuser

It turns out that you were right in the first place. The permissions for the bin directory were not set correctly. After changing this problem was solved. I guess that shows my inexperience in this area. Thanks so much for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back