Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VSA0 and VTY0 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

drencep

MIS
Sep 25, 2003
US
Hi,

Is there a way to recreate or reconfigure VSA0 and VTY0 on a p570, AIX 5.2, HMC 4.3.3 single partition system. "cfgmgr" does not seem to work. These devices don't show up using "lsdev" command.

TIA!

Yes, sort of, what are you trying to do with them?

The application running needs the console to be redirected to vty0. Can you please tell me how to do this. Thanks!

Hmm, you might have problem there.

When a p5 machine does not have a HMC the serial ports (9 pin D type connectors) of the service processor are "passed" to the operating system and can be used for the system console when connected via a null modem cable to a terminal emulator or a dumb terminal.
The serial ports are still controlled by the service processor and as such must be configured from the ASMI interface rather than from the operating system. The default settings are 19200, 8, 1, n.

When you connect an HMC (op panel shows hmc=1) this function is denied and instead the only ways of making a console connection are either from the HMC command line with the vtmenu command or by installing a serial adapter card into the system or LPAR and then connecting a dumb terminal as above.
As the HMC vtmenu connection is made over the hypervisor and the connection is to a virtual device there are no settings configurable for the vsa or vty ports.

So you need to confirm if your application can really use a vty, if so you could remove you system from the HMC (op panel then showing hmc=0), as it is a single partition system this should not cause you any problems, then your vsa / vty devices will become available.

If your application cannot use the vsa / vty device and really needs a sa / tty device then you will need to buy a serial port adapter like the 5723 2 port EIA232 adapter.

The only other option I can think of would be to reconfigure the system to use a VIO server and then configure an LPAR with all remaining resources and use the vio server to provide a virtual serial port but this would take a lot of work, cost you a VIO licence and you would still have to ensure the application supports the virtual console devices.

So you need to decide if you need the HMC, if not you should remove it and after a complete power down the system should come back with the vsa / vty ports.
If you want to keep the HMC connected you shoud probably buy a serial card and configure one of its ports as the system console.

Have a read here for more info on these virtual console thingies:

Duke,

I really appreciate you taking time to help me on this. We finally fixed the issue yesterday and we found out the vsa0/vty0 do not exist in AIX 5200-04 - it's called sa0/tty0 which basically serves the same functionality. We're assuming that these devices names were changed in AIX 5.3.

Again, thanks a lot!

That is odd, I think you must have a serial adapter in the machine already.

No, Drencep is right. On 5.2 the virtual serial adapter device is cfgmgr-ed as sa0 and its child device is tty0.

On 5.3 it is vsa0 and vty0. It never occurred to me to go and check on a 5.2 lpar until I read the latest reply by Drencep.

HTH,

p5wizard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back