Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VS7E refuses to update

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tencel

IS-IT--Management
Aug 29, 2002
GB
I'm running EPO 2.51 and sending out upgrades to VS7E from VS4.51 to Win2K workstations. I have AutoUpdate 7 configured properly in EPO. The EPO Server is also running VS7E and I have used AutoUpdate Architect to configure this server to pull DAT updates from NAI and create a local repository located in /Dat. All workstations are updating from the local repository just fine, except for one. This particular workstation gets the following error in the log:

Starting VirusScan task: AutoUpdate
Checking update packages from repository SERVER.
Error downloading file /Dat/SiteStat.xml, naInet GetLastError() = 0
Error occurred while downloading file SiteStat.xml.
Unable to find a valid repository.
Update Finished

The SiteStat.xml file is there. All other identically configured workstations are not having problems updating. Any ideas where to start?

After doing a few more installs, I have come up with some more information. It is now happening on 2 PC's, and these PC's are multihomed (they are the only ones). They have 2 network cards for accessing 2 separate networks. They are development machines, requiring access to the business network and a production network. The business network is a class C subnet, and the production network is a class A subnet. IP Forwarding is turned off, and there is no gateway assigned to the production (class A) subnet. The DAT repository is on the business network, and they have no trouble communicating with either network. This is the only difference these machines have to all the others that are working fine. Any help with a solution would be appreciated.

Just a hunch, but the NICs must be getting all confused as to what subnet to go to for updates. One of them, I suspect the wrong one, has priority over the other (does that make sense?)

I would used an IP address instead of a netbios name for the source dircetory. For example, if "DATS" is the name of the share which holds the update files, then:

change

Source = \\AVSERVER\DATS

to

Source = \\172.28.14.210\DATS

GOOD LUCK!!

Carpe diem, procrastination is the thief of time...

I tried changing the server name to server IP, and that did not work when using the FTP method. However, changing to the UNC method did work. Apparently something is not right with the VS7 FTP Engine when used in multi-homed PC's. I can run FTP from the command prompt and get right to it. Thanks for the tip.

Hi...

I am having the same problem, but I am not using multiple NICs. Some of my servers are updating automatically, and some are not.

On all of the servers which are not automatically updating, I CAN FTP to the repository Anonymously without using a Proxy.

Have anyone found a solution to the problem? The UNC "quick fix" is not practical.

Thanks,

Forch

If you're using a proxy, make sure that the "Bypass proxy for local addresses" is selected.

AVChap
... WARNING: The Surgeon General says to take my advise at your own risk.

I was having a problem with V7E updating in remote domains. It turned out the problem was with McAfee AutoUpdate Architect. It wouldn't do an increment deployment to remote repositories.

V7E uses the update files under the current directory in the update source directory. The incremental didn't update these folders but a full update would.

Switching to EPO 3.0 has it's on learning curve and problems but everything is in one package. No MAA 1.0

OK since my company is, shall we say "backward" in the realm of latest anything. I have to fight tooth and nail to get anything, and almost as hard just to learn about it. Where can I get either EPO or MAA... and is there any particular advantage to either? Right now I manually put the files in each of a dozen regional servers and then have the workstations pointing to those files and update automatically. Altogether we are talking almost 2000 workstations, total. With a dozen NT servers and another dozen Novell servers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back