Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VS.NET keeps reformatting my html! This is driving me nutts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

bebblebrox

IS-IT--Management
Aug 9, 2004
US
Good Morning,

So I this snipit of code from one of my pages:

Code:
<tr>
<td class="sectionHeader1" style="background-image:url("images/text-1.jpg");">
<div style="margin-left:18px">My Name Here</div>
</td>
</tr>

which does exactly what i want it to do in any text editor. and when i first load it up in VS.NET it looks fine. However, if i make any changes i'll get this error alert (from VS.NET) when i try to compile:

Could not format the document due to line 86. The original format has been restored.

I click OK on that error message (my only option) and when the page loads it's all messed up. When I go back to my code, the orginal snippit looks like this:
Code:
<tr>
<td class="sectionHeader1" imagestext-1.jpg?) ;?>
<div style="MARGIN-LEFT:18px">Richard W. Price</div>
</td>
</tr>

in addition to this block of code being screwed up, any blocks where i use the style attribute to set the background image gets messed up.

any idea what's going on here?

thanks,

rp

hi...

why dont u try putting the background image with the CSS ?

VS.NET 2003 reformatting your HTML is a known problem, and will be fixed in VS.NET 2005. For now, don't flip back & forth between HTML view and Design view.

Chip H.

thanks tgreer & thehms, i've tried your solutions but they, unfortunatly, don't work. i've found other info about the "known bug" which does exist and is making my life hell today.

cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back