Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VS 2005 question 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmfna

MIS
Sep 26, 2003
US
Hello all,

Its been a little while since I've been on tek-tips, so thought I'd say "Hi" before beginning my question.

Anyway, my company just recently upgraded our .net 1.1 projects to .net 2.0. We upgraded everything as web applications, as opposed to web sites, because of the crazy amount of work it would take to correct errors caused by the partial class creation. From there I have a couple of questions.

1. Now that the code is all ported, I tried running my web app using the ASP.Net Development Server (as opposed to iis) and for some reason none of the images show up. I've tried googling this problem to no avail.

2. Is there any way to speed up the build process? we have loads of projects in our solution, and it takes like 8-10 min. to build, so any suggestions would be great!

Thank you all in advance, and my apologies if I posted this in the wrong place, I couldn't find a forum to post in.

Thanks again!
-Kevin

- "The truth hurts, maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with no seat, but it hurts.

1. Debug - to see where your app is pointing to to find the images. My guess is it's in the root images folder rather than your images folder under you app dir, which you don't have any images in.

2- There is no way, you will just have to make multiple solutions with less projects added to it.

1) Are the images referenced by absolute or relative path? Can you give us an example we can work with?

2) It depends which type of build you do. You can have the application pre-compiled into one DLL in your bin folder, which does take longer to build but should give you slightly faster performance (as it is pre-compiled). I think the other options include a dll for each page or even compilation on the fly but I don't use these options so someone else may be better placed to confirm this.

Need help finding an answer? Try the Search Facility or read FAQ222-2244.

Thank you both for your super fast responses....for clarification, it was definitely an issue with the images folders, but it was a permissions thing, so if anyone else encounters this problem, the following needs to be added to the web.config:

<location path="Images">
<system.web>
<authorization>
<allow users="?"/>
</authorization>
</system.web>
</location>

As for the build speed, I think that I am going to create a new solution that just points to the .dlls of all of the projects that I need to reference, so it won't have to compile them every time and the debug mode should run a great deal faster.

Thank you both, again!
-Kevin

- "The truth hurts, maybe not as much as jumping on a bicycle with no seat, but it hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back