Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vrepair / Name Space question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickth

Technical User
Jun 5, 2004
US
Hello all,
We are running Novell 3.2 We had a power outage today, and although I can load our Volume SYS, it only runs for about 2 hours, and then locks everyone out, saying that the drive has deactivated. I tried to run Vrepair, but it stops and says I should remove support for Name Space. This is where I'm lost. We do have OS2.nlm loaded, and we do have long file names on our server. Does this mean if I remove support for Name Space, that Novell will either go in and delete these files or truncate them? I've read that I should use V_NFS.NLM, but I don't have it, and I don't know where to get it. Any thoughts?

Mick

You don't want to remove the name spaces if you need Long file names. That would trash the usability of your volume.

Usually when a drive deactivates like that, it's a hardware problem that VREPAIR won't fix anyway.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Can it be temporarily removed, while vrepair runs, and then re-installed? Or will that trash the longer filenames? Also, can I run V_NFS.NLM on version 3.2? or is that a newer feature for a newer version of Novell?

Mick

Could/Would a power supply cause this behavior? I replaced the power supply, thinking maybe the outage (possible surge) could have damaged the power supply. There was a light fixture in the same room that had to be replaced. Anyway, it's been up for a few hours now.

Mick

Nope. not so lucky. Still getting the problem.

Mick

So, could the problem be with one (or both) of the SCSI controllers? We're using the 2940-U2W cards. If it were hard drive related, wouldn't it not run at all? I'm still wondering if I can somehow load V_NFS.NLM, for VREPAIR to be able to run.

Mick

Do you have a boot floppy with server.exe, vrepair, and v_nfs.nlm on it? If so, see if you can run it that way. If you can, then it's the controller, not the disk.

Iolair MacWalter
Director of IT

Thanks for the suggestion. I was able to tell vrepair where v_os2.nlm was, using the "searc add...." feature. So vrepair ran succssfully yesterday. However, about 2 hours after it ran, I got the same error message. I ran vrepair again, and the second time I told it to make a text file so I could see what errors it found. Our server has been running since about 4:00 pm yesterday, so I think vrepair fixed the problems.

Now, how would I go about seeing the errors it fixed? I had it make a file on the root of the file server. How do I get that file off, without downing the server? Can I access it somehow? Or do I need to down the server, and copy it to a floppy?

Mick

If memory serves, there was a utility called nwshell.nlm, which would give you that functionality.
I have not used it myself but remember reading about it.

Try googling for it.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back