Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Vrepair/FAT question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mickth

Technical User
Jun 5, 2004
US
We are running NW 3.2. So, we had another serious power outage. I am able to run Vrepair, however when it tries to complete the process, it says it can't complete do to a Write/FAT problem. So is the FAT table on the drive damamged? or is there an internal NW FAT Table that is damaged?

Mick

There's an option to write the changes at the time of repair rather than waiting till the end. You need to find this option and set it.

Also, you may want to tell it to purge all deleted files. Having lots of deleted files sometimes interferes with a vrepair.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Hi Marvin,
THanks. I actually did try those ideas. When I tried both of them at the same time, it didn't finish running vrepair. Then I just switched it to not delete the purged files, and it finished running vrepair, but when I load the volume again, it gives me the message about the partitions not being mirrored. I unhooked one of the scsi drives, and the system is now running, but I'd really like to get a second drive back in the machine.

Mick

From what you are saying, that's not something VREPAIR is going to fix. VREPAIR will fix corrupt volumes etc.. A mirrored drive works at the partition level, not the volume level. VREPAIR won't do anything to remirror those.

Instead, the mirror should actually try to remirror itself. You can do a MIRROR STATUS to see what it's doing. Sometimes it can take a while.

The mirror process itself is handled by Netware, and setup in the INSTALL.NLM utility. If you still can't get the mirror to get in sync, delete the 2nd drive from the set, make sure everything is working with the 1st drive, then add the mirror back to get a clean start.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Is it hardware RAID or software RAID?

Iolair MacWalter
Director of IT

Well, there are two SCSI cards, and two hard drives. I disconnected one SCSI card and one hard drive. I'm not sure I Would know the process of clearing off the second hard drive.

Mick

What you have setup is a NetWare (Software) based Mirror. It's all controlled by the NetWare OS.

The configuration is completed in the INSTALL.NLM utility. Do a LOAD INSTALL, then you should be able to find an option that refers to mirroring (Can't remember exactly). Since one drive is disconnected, it should show up as a defunct mirror set. Just delete it from in the screen where you see it.

Once you do that, take your server down, reinstall the second drive, then go back into INSTALL and remirror it. Make sure you don't mirror the empty drive over the good drive. That would be very bad.

Marvin Huffaker, MCNE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back