Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vpopmail - logging to mysql - vlog table - not working

Status
Not open for further replies.

monideth

IS-IT--Management
Sep 11, 2003
GB
Hi,

I'm having problems with vpopmail and loggin to mysql.

I can't seem to get vpopmail to log to the vlog table in my vpopmail database.

Yes, I have compiled vpopmail with the appopriate options to enable logging AND to use mysql logging (as per the qmailrocks guide).

Is there a command or test I can use to see whether it is accessing this vlog table?

Everything else seems to work fine - the lastauth table seems to get update fine. but for some reason vlog doe snot get updated.

I understand that vpopmail should recreate the vlog table if it is missing - so I tried deleting the table but it just seems vpopmail is not even attempting to log to mysql - thus, not attempting to create the table if it is missing.

Note: it was working - since I had the vlog table created in the first place! For reasons I don't know about it just stopped working.

Regards,

Mon

thedaver,

It is possible that mysql may have been updated when I used yum to upgrade my CentOS 4.0 system.

Looking at the RPM info for mysql-devel-4.1.10a-1.RHEL4.1 the build date for this RPM is 28th March.

Is there a known problem with vpopmail v5.4.9 and mysql 4.1.10a?

Apart from this vlog problem my vpopmail with mysql backend setup seems to be working OK!

Regards,

Mon

I upgraded vpopmail to 5.4.10 but still same problems.

For 5.4.10 I used the following configure options:

./configure --enable-logging=v --enable-auth-module=mysql --disable-passwd --enable-clear-passwd --disable-many-domains --enable-auth-logging --enable-sql-logging --enable-valias --disable-mysql-limits

And the summary output is:

vpopmail 5.4.10
Current settings
---------------------------------------

vpopmail directory = /home/vpopmail
uid = 508
gid = 503
roaming users = OFF --disable-roaming-users (default)
password learning = OFF --disable-learn-passwords (default)
md5 passwords = ON --enable-md5-passwords (default)
file locking = ON --enable-file-locking (default)
vdelivermail fsync = OFF --disable-file-sync (default)
make seekable = ON --enable-make-seekable (default)
clear passwd = ON --enable-clear-passwd (default)
user dir hashing = ON --enable-users-big-dir (default)
address extensions = OFF --disable-qmail-ext (default)
ip alias = OFF --disable-ip-alias-domains (default)
domain quotas = OFF --disable-domainquotas (default)
auth module = mysql --enable-auth-module=mysql
mysql replication = OFF --disable-mysql-replication (default)
sql logging = ON --enable-sql-logging
mysql limits = OFF --disable-mysql-limits (default)
MySQL valias = ON --enable-valias
auth inc = -I/usr/include/mysql
auth lib = -L/usr/lib/mysql -lmysqlclient -lz -lm
system passwords = OFF --disable-passwd (default)
pop syslog = log success and errors including passwords
--enable-logging=v
auth logging = ON --enable-auth-logging (default)
one domain per SQL table = --disable-many-domains

So everything looks fine and 'make && make install' returns OK. But, still no loggin to vlog table!

Should vpopmail also log to syslog when mysql loggin is enabled? I do not see vpopmail logging in my '/var/log/messages' log file either.

So it looks like vpopmail is not logging - to either mysql or syslog!

What am I doing wrong? =(

Am I losing the plot somewhere?!

Regards,

Mon

vpopmail, courier, mysql, etc all are so interwoven that it's critical that your versions match, particularly with the libmysqlclient module which needs to be incorporated into vpopmail's binaries.

Have you also, sorry to ask, made sure that the account you've given to vpopmail for logging is valid? Have you tried to login via mysql command line manually?

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

thedaver,

vpopmail seems to accessing mysql OK - since everything else works - I can create/delete/modify domains and accounts OK; and authentication is no problem.

So, if everything else works then this shows that connection to mysql is OK - no?!

it seems for some reason vpopmail is not logging at all - to syslog or mysql - even though I have set looging to on.

With mysql logging set to on, should it log to syslog too? When loggin to syslog, which log file should I be looking at?

Regards,

Mon

thedaver,

Sorry - did not answer your question fully - yes, I have logged in via the mysql command line using the vpopmail account directly, and it was OK.

Regards,

Mon

You may need to take this to the vchkpw mailing list which is where you get support for vpopmail. visit Inter7 for more information.

D.E.R. Management - IT Project Management Consulting

thedaver,

Now this is strange, I decided to take the plunge and migrate my users to my qmail server - despite having the log problems.

However, it seems now that there are log entries appearing in the vlog table.

It seems that vpopmail seems to be only logging for certain users?!

I cannot find entries for my account - for logins via squirrelmai land IMAP access - however, there are logging for other accounts.

I haven;t worked out the relationship between which users are getting logged or not.

In the list of users in the domain table - there are fields for pw_uid and pg_gid - what is this for and what should this be set to? I was wondering whether there is relationship between being able to log and these settings.

Regards,

Mon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back