Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN's using D-Link DI-804V routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkHollings

IS-IT--Management
Jul 17, 2003
GB
I wonder if anyone can help me.

I have two office networks and have successfully set up a VPN using two D-link DI-804v VPN routers to link them together using the intstructions from the D-link manual and website, there is a faq all about vpns using two 804Vs using IPSEC and MD5/3DES.

I can successfully ping the devices on each of the respective networks and can see the networks from either side of the tunnel but the traffic through the tunnel is very very slow.

It takes about 5 minutes to transfer a 1MB file over the VPN. If I use PCAnywhere to transfer the same file it takes less than 10 secs.

I dont have much experience of setting up VPN's but from my conversations with people who have my belief was that it should be as fast as PCAnywhere, and certainly not as slow as it currently is.

What can I do to try and speed up this VPN? It seems to be setup correctly, is the 804V just a very slow device and should I look for soemthing else?

Phone D-link.
That is not a joke. I had a problem with my D-link router once and I got so stuck that I phoned for support.
I sat there with a cuppa waiting for the 1 hour touch-tone telephone garbage that comes with free support but WHAM within about three seconds an engineer was like hello can I help! Apart from causing me to nearly choke to death on my mouthful of tea he sorted my problem out in less than 3 minutes, spoke clearly, another free support first, and I was on my way.
Just phone them they are unbelievable for support, I really can’t rave enough about them.
PS. I don’t have shares in D-link they are just due the credit.

Working through the problem with the help of D-link support I was provided with a new firmware version 4.74 which improved things greatly.

Still have quite a slow throughput when pulling information from remote site to the office however this, I think is most probably due to the remote uplink speed which is at maximum only 128K.

Transferring data the other way, host -> remote has a 256k upload rate which is quite adequate and responsive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back