Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

vpn xp to 2000 server very slow

Status
Not open for further replies.

jcostanz

Programmer
May 24, 2001
US
I am able to connect thru vpn to a win 2000 server and access shared files. My problem is that when I click on a folder on the vpn i takes about 1 minute to open the folder.

the server is connected thru a linksys befsr 41 router to a 128 dsl line, the xp client is connected thru a liksys befsr 41 router to a cable modem. the connection appears to be fast, but going from file to file takes forever.

am I missing a setting or is this normal??

thanks.

A) Is the VPN server Windows 2000 server or Windows 2000 Pro acting as a VPN server?

B) If it is W2K server, do you have it configured as a WINS server? Is your client configured for WINS?

C) If you are running W2K Pro as a VPN server, and you don't have a WINS server available, are you using LMHOSTS?

Keep in mind that you are running on a fraction of the bandwidth available to your LAN, so copying files across the connection will be very slow in comparison. Really sounds to me like a name resolution issue. Post back and we'll go from there.

It is Windows 2000 Server.
I haven't tried to send any files as of yet, I got fed up waiting for the directory to change. I have had to use the actual IP address of the server or the other computer that I want to access.

That sounds like a definite name resolution issue. You didn't say whether you had your server was running WINS or not. That is probably the key.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back