Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN with Linksys Router WRT54G

Status
Not open for further replies.

stiffguy

Technical User
Sep 15, 2003
US
Hi:

I have WRT54G linksys router connected to SBS 2003 server. When I connect from ouside using VPN, it stays for a long time at Verifying username and password and comes back with "error 721, the remote computer is not responding ". the clinet is WIn2k prof.

if I discoonect Linksys and connect SMC7004 VWBR ( also which is a wireless router ), everything works fine.

can any one suggest ?

all the req, ports are fowarded on the router like 1723,443,3389,110,80 and 25.

I am struggling with this for the last 2 weks and Linksys is not able to resolve the issue

Thanks in advance

Hi:

I do have the cuurent firmware. PPTP is also enabled. I have the server connected through wire only.

My client is outside the LAN .

Which log do u want me to review ??

thaks

In addition to what chicagoTechnet said:
1. Can you verify thst you are on the Internet prior to launching your VPN client?
2. Are you using an Active Directory that has DNS enabled?
3. There are issues with Win2K SP4 and above, WinXP, Win2K Server, and Win2003 Server resolving A records, Cname and PTR records with DNS to a single name-label server.
4. You want to review the logs that are with your VPN Client. To view them 'right-click' on the client icon and click 'find target.' There should be log files alongside the target found.
5. I am sure that you set the obvious in the router already so I won't ask....(Gateway...DHCP)

GMAN - CCIE, MCSE

Hi:

thaks . I reviewed and I am not sure which program to use to edit the configuration file. do you know ??

thanks

stiffguy,

I believe Andy just used Windows Notepad to edit given that it was clear text and not compiled. Have you tried that?

Greg

I have been talking with Linksys about this same issue. This particular model is not working with VPN / PPTP. They have a beta firmware out that they are testing.

Hey stiffguy, I had the same problem before, but with a befsr41 router. Make sure that the IP addresses on both server and client side are different.

To make mine work, i re-designated my server's lan's gateway to 1.1.1.1 and kept the client side at 192.168.1.1

give it a try, it worked perfectly for me

I also have a WRT54g and have exactly the same problems. After much frustration it turns out that VPN pass-through with this unit is buggy and doesn't work reliably (even with recent firmware). There's nothing you can do about it presently. Sometimes it will work, and sometimes it will not. A workaround for me has been to disconnect power from the WRT54g for 30 seconds and then reconnect power. It's a pain, but it seems to work.

Forbsy

Yep. Had the same problem as in the original post while connecting to a Windows 2000 VPN box from an XP client that was behing WRT54G, except the error number I was getting was 619. Upgraded the router firmware from 2.02.7 to 2.02.8 beta, and the upgraded firmware seems to have resolved the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back