Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN with 2k server

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 5, 2002
GB
Hi,

I have got a dsl router and a server running 2k, I have run thru the wizard in RRAS in setting up a VPN server but I cant connect to the VPN from an outside connection. I have a static internet connection and trying to connect to this address, am I doing this right and have I missed something.

Thanks in advance.

make sure PPTP passthu is on in the router, as well as ort forwarding for 1723 to the address of the VPN server inside the router LAN. once you do that. Make sure that the VPN is set up to allow any users. this is not done by default with the wizard for some reason. you have to enalble users to use the vpn connection. then you have to make sure the user at the remote end of this tunnel is using a username and pass that exactly matches the one allowed on the tunnel. you will also have to make sure that the subnet of each mahcine is not the same. as in both machines cannot be on the 192.168.1.xxx subnet, one or the other will have to be on 192.168.2.xxx or something other than 192.168.1.xxx this can be alleviated by issuing the ip from the VPN server. just make sure to issue a network other than 192.168.1.xxx. once you get this far you should know what you are doing enough to get it going or at least find the answers on Tek-Tips. Also if you post back let us know what error code you are getting as this helps narrow down how far along you are in the whole process, and what went wrong. good luck

Well,
you are using 2 windows2k machines, separated by the internet. Indeed check the router filtering also (as Eddie said).
There are 3 possibilities for doing VPN.
PPTP, L2TP/IPSec, and IPSec "tunnel".
Each of them have their own configurations, and is suitable in some cases or not. Also, from the router point of view each of them are using some specific ports.
How to configure them is not so easy to describe. But tel me which connection do you want to have, and then I wll try to give you the steps. Gia Betiu
m.betiu@chello.nl
Computer Eng. CNE 4, CNE 5, soon MCSE2k

I agree. Both Eddie and Gia are correct. And also depending on the router, you may have to open GRE port (47). What kind of router is it?

Many thanks for your help, will have a try and will let you know.

Many thanks
Mark

Sorry, Im using a D-Link DSL-500 ADSL Router, what ports do i need to open to allow for an incoming connection?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back