Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN weirdness

Status
Not open for further replies.

ncsharp

Technical User
Feb 27, 2006
US
I need to start using VPN and decided to test it today. I created a VPN server on a win XP sp2 box today. Then, on my laptop I configured VPN client and can connect to the LOCAL ip address just fine. I could easily browse shares by going to run and typing \\192.168.1.100 (VPN Server) from the client.

I have a linksys router that sits between my internal net and the internet. So I opened ports 50-51, 1723, 500, and 137-139 and created port forwarding to the VPN server internal IP. I then went to my brothers across town and was able to connect to the VPN but NOT browse shares. The external IP of the VPN server is 24.199.165.230 and from my brothers I tried start, run, \\24.199.165.230 but got no shares even though I was connected.

I then came back to my internal net, and verified that I could browse shares internally ( \\192.168.1.100 ). But, even from the local net, when I connect to the external IP (24.199.165.230) using the VPN client I can connect but not browse shares.

What am I missing?

Mike

You should not use public IP \\24.199.165.230 to share. After establishing the VPN, the VPN host will assign a private IP itself and anotehr IP to the cient. You should use the private IP instead of public IP. This search result may help,

Computer browsing over VPN involves routers, multiple segments and ... Alternatively, it is possible to browse over VPN by using LMHOSTS files on all VPN ...

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

Thanks msworld. I stared looking at OpenVPN ( and now have it up and running. It's by far the best VPN solution I've found. Strong SSL encryption in tunnel or bridge mode, easy to setup.

I have the server running on a XP Home box, and I wish I had professional so I could use Remore Desktop. VNC works good over the VPN but it requires the acct to remain logged in. You cant switch user to prevent someone from sitting down and watch you work remotely.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back