Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN VOIP Peer to Peer

Status
Not open for further replies.

bjdobs

Programmer
Mar 11, 2002
CA
OK here is a good one ... there are a number of companies pushing VOIP services all requiring you to login to a remote server to allow you to chat which will ultimatley allow then to charge you down the road for their service.

I have an application where I have to connect to a client via a VPN ... once on the VPN pipe all of these services, MSN for example are dead ... not wanting to spend prime money on long distance charges I use email and unix talk sessions to talk to co-workers via this VPN pipe ... VOIP shouldn't need a remote go between ... if 2 PC's know their IP addresses then a manual connection should be possible.

Does anyone know of any software out there that would allow this to work? running XP Pro sp2

Check out skype.com I have found this service very useful.

This still requires a service ... I need to connect peer to peer with no go between.

I woudl suggest Kentrox QOS Enable routers. The links came up but I am fighting my own inexperience and Extreme switches to get my internal routing corrected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back