Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN (virtual Private network) how to make or connect to

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
We have need to several PC to login into our Network.
these PC's get onto the Internet using a CABLE modem. they don't even have analog modems.
Our NT PDC gets on to the Internet as dose everyone else in the building using a DSL connection. The DSL modem is connected to a Member Server which has 2 NICs one for the DSL and one for the Network. The Member Sever has Microsoft Proxy Server 2.0 installed on it too. That’s what we use to get in and out and add some firewall protection.

Can these PC’s ranging form NT Workstation 4.0 to Windows ’98 and Windows Me 2000 log on to our network from outside using VPN or how does that work?.
I don’t want to use analog modems.

Any help in that direction would be great, logging on through the Internet, securely of course.

DougP, MCP
dposton@universal1.com

Ask me how Bar-codes can help you be more productive.

Doug,

To connect user who are using dsl or cable into your network you want to use vpn used with ipsec. check out for more info on ipsec.

Ray

Ok so I set up a UDP Port 500 in Proxy Server Now what?

How does the PC gain access to our network?
They don't login using a Dialup, right?
Do they launch Internet Explorer and get on the WEB first?

I am setting it up here because they would never figure it out at home.
I would like to end up with an Icon they simply double click on.

Need more Input...

DougP, MCP
dposton@universal1.com

Also I found out that a VPN will only work with NT Servers or NT Workstations or 2000 Server and 2000 Pro. What do we do about '9x boxes.

DougP, MCP
dposton@universal1.com

The remote pc do need to be connected to the internet prior to the vpn connection. I think with win9x machines you need to install the VPN adapter first

Win9x will need to run DUN 1.3 or later. On the NT machines you will also need to install Point to Point Tunneling Protocol. Once you have your internet connection you make a dialup connection using a VPN adapter (rather than a modem) to the public side of the network/machine you are wanting to establish the tunnel with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back