Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN using SpeedTouch 530 USB/Etherenet ADSL Router 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

chill99

Technical User
May 23, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have had little experience with VPN networks and there technology.
Seen as I have just fried my current ADSL router by performing a flash ROM update :*( (I later found out that the file that I uploaded was corrupted) I was thinking about getting a better router than the one that I previously had as I am interested in accessing my LAN from other locations. I understand that VPN allows this to be possible.

I have seen that the “SpeedTouch 530 USB/Etherenet ADSL Router” can allow VPN pass-through what does this mean? does it mean that incoming VPN connections will be routed to the server? If so does this mean that only the server will be visible to the VPN client and not the other computers on the LAN?

This router also has a USB connection, I am hoping that this means that if I can’t use the router as a router can I use it as a standard ADSL modem? If so does this mean that I can defiantly use it to create a VPN and use the server to share the internet through the LAN, or am I better off getting a standard USB modem and connecting it to the server?

I have just upgraded to windows 2003 ent. server from 2000 advanced.

(if you can defiantly promise that if I get a normal USB modem and connect it to the server VPN will work then tell me!!!)

Thank you,

James

Your best bet would be to get something like Zyxel's prestige 652. This is a secure ADSL/VPN firewall. VPN over NAT works ok, but not the best setup.

I am currently rolling out a 500+ site VPN solution using the Speedtouch 530 modems and can definetly say they are a solid router - I liek them, a lot. Also, I have managed to be able to configure these to act as bridge and as such only need one static ip address (here in the uk the two choices are 1 or 5 and there is a hefty price difference, so having 1 ip on the vpn concentrator is allways a good option).

I have never tried these as USB however, but have never seen a problem with one of the boxes using ethernet.

If you would like any details I can advise on my setup.

Regards,

Chris

thanks cris i would like the notes on the setup of the router,i have now got the 510v4 but it is basiky the same as the 530 with out usb and with 4 ports.

do i have to use 2 nic's in the server?? it winges about this when seting up as a VPN server in routin and remoe access

Hi, Sorry for the delay in getting back to you Chill,

I am not to sure what it is you are looking to achieve, but you cannot use the Speedtouch as a VPN concentrator - I presume, from your above post, that the server (Win2K?) is going to act as your VPN Concentrator?

Basically, let me know what you are intending to setup and i'll point you in the right direction with the speedtouch.

Regards,

Chris

Hey Armo2,

I've just purchased 7 x 530's for a trial roll-out of ADSL and I'm interested in knowing how you configured them for your VPN rollouts. Bridging sounds an interesting option. I can't get much out of the CLI in terms of help for configuring the in-built firewall. I'll be using them with an L2TP IPsec tunnel over a Shiva VPN box.

regards,

Bongojazz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back