Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN users can no longer access Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.

sgamer

Vendor
Jan 4, 2002
US
Note: This isn't a PIX question but I hope someone can answer it. Thanks in advance.

I installed a VPN Concentrator 3005 at a customer site and set it to tunnel everything. Internet access is provided via a separate PIX. For some reason I can't figure out, Internet access for the VPN users isn't working anymore.

The PIX and 3005 are installed parallel to each other. There is an internal router and, of course, an external router connected to the ISP. I have the 3005 default gateway set to the external router and the tunnel default gateway set to the internal router.

It has something to do with routing because it works when I add a static route to something on the Internet with the next hop being the internal router. It looks like I can only get to destinations that have a static route.

I'm missing something and would appreciate if someone could point out what that something is. Thanks.

HI.

This problem is related to the "split tunnel" option.
The VPN server sends routing information about the network to the VPN client, so the client will be able to decide which traffic should be sent via the VPN tunnel, and which traffic should be sent to the "normal" default gateway of the client.

You can get some info when you double click the yellow icon of the client to see which networks are "on the other side of the VPN tunnel". It should be only internal networks behind the VPN server, and should NOT be something like 0.0.0.0

Bye
Yizhar Hurwitz

Thanks for the response. Actually, I'm not using Split-Tunneling and do not want to. The client wants to tunnel everything and provide Internet access through his network.

I was able to fix the problem though. I rebooted it and everything is fine now. Go figure!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back