Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN user has trouble connecting thru Windows XP client

Status
Not open for further replies.

xtremist5150

IS-IT--Management
Nov 20, 2003
US
Hi, my boss is the only one in the company who is unable to access our VPN through a Windows XP Professional SP2 client interface. He uses a wireless connection at home for his Dell Inspiron 600m laptop. He can log into our VPN as the domain admin but if he logs in under his own account (which he has domain admin rights) it tends to drop him randomly and also he needs the VPN to access our web services (which don't need a VPN as they are accessed by anyone on the web). In office he is fine, we don't use wireless here, just a straight lan connection on our Windows 2000 Server environment. But outside he cannot get into our OUtlook Web Access or into a Windows Authentication site of ours. Again, under the domain account he can. Tried looking in Active Directory user profile and he is allowed dial-in access with domain admin rights. I may be missing something though....and it seems to be tied to the machine proper....

Anyone have any idea where to look? Please let me know if you need me to provide more info. Thanks!

Make sure he has dial in rights on his profile and make sure he can ping the owa site and vpn server from home.

OK, we've determined that it's my boss' computer or his home network. He can't VPN from it and can't reach our webservices from it at all. He has dial-in rights on his profile but cannot ping our OWA or VPN server site from his home. He can access them from in the office. Anything else on his computer I should check?

If he is useing wireless he must have a home router? I have had to open ports (1723) on home router to get VPN to work.

Make sure on the router you forward port 1723 or enable vpn pass through. I have a dlink and it has the enable vpn pass thru option.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back