Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Tunnel will not stay alive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

gforeman

MIS
Jan 19, 2003
US
In the main office, BEFVP41 Router with a tunnel to a BEFSX41. BEFVP41 has a static IP. Works fine at times. When the user at the remote site on the BEFSX41 router logs out of Windows XP, the router drops connection within 30 seconds. If they log back in the connection becomes active again. When they log back in the next day, it does not reestablish connection sometimes. They can surf the internet, but not see the system with the BEFVP41 router.

I have a BEFSX41 at my office to talk to the BEFVP41 and I don’t have the problem. All routers are set to “Keep Alive” the connection. Why when the XP user logs off does the connection drop? Shouldn’t the routers be active and talking even if the workstation was powered off?

Any insight is welcome. Linksys said to upgrade the firmware in the BEFSX41 but I'm running the same version on mine and it doesn't drop.

Perfect. Thanks. I will report back if this solves the problem.

Well, I upgraded the software and disabled the UPnP function and the results are the same. The BEFSX41 stop responding to ping from the main office after the user logs off. Makes no sense to me. With the computer off, shouldn't the routers still be connected?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back