Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN to Static IP

Status
Not open for further replies.

rocketgeek

Programmer
Sep 23, 2006
US
I'm trying to figure out how to configure a VPN which would allow me to:

-connect from my home DHCP (port 25 blocked) residential service to my work (Watchguard x500 box)
-go out from my work system, on a static IP
-pass port 25 SMTP traffic (allows me to run a mailserver at home)

I would have a dedicated static IP at the work system.

Can someone help me figure out how to make this happen?

Thanks.

rocketgeek
50,000 and beyond!

I am not sure I understand the question. If you can establish a VPN, you don't need to open any port. Or you just need to open the port 25 for accessing the email from home.

Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
How to Setup Windows, Network, VPN & Remote Access on

I want my mailserver at home to use one of the static IPs at work, to pass SMTP mail.

So I would tunnel from home to work, and then to a the public static IP, which would be used exclusively for my home based mailserver.

Can anyone tell me if this type of application is called "port forwarding"?

Can anyone give me some pointers?

Thanks.

Port forwarding is when you want outside traffic using a certain port to reach a certain machine on the inside network. IE, if you are running a mailserver on one computer you tell the router to forward port 25 traffic to the computer running the server application.

If I understand what you are doing, you want people on the outside to be able to access your mail server, which is at home, but you want them to be able to use the static IP of your work computer to access your home? I think this is possible but I've never done it myself.

I think you would need to configure your work router to forward port 25 traffic to port 25 at the virtual IP of your home computer. You must use the "virtual" IP that you get from the VPN, not the actual IP of the home computer on the home LAN. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but there should be no harm in trying it out and seeing if it works. You can always undo the port forwarding if it causes problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back