Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN to remote network

Status
Not open for further replies.

maya14

Technical User
May 8, 2007
ZA
I need to establish a VPN to a remote site with only XP pc's in workgroup environment.There is no server.
I have setup VPN on Netgear to forward traffic to a certain XP box but is unable to make a connection to the pc. What i need is to give remote desktop to about 10 XP pc's using VNC. Router has dynamic IP but i'm using Dyndns to solve that problem.
How can i setup this connection so that i can access all pc's at remote site.

If you're using VNC you'd need to make the listening ports different on each PC. If you're using Remote Desktop connection you could change the RDP listening port from 3389 to 3321 etc...by changing the registry key. Note on this, you must change the port in the windows firewall to allow the port number change to pass through. Many people forget about this.

If you have a VPN router located at the place you are connecting from, you could create a site to site connection from your IP to your DDNS IP and set the private scheme from your private IP to the remote subnet. Enable access to all the PC's via VNC or remote desktop and you're good to go.

Another way is to use TEAMVIEWER. It works very well and goes through almost any firewall.

Good luck.

If you have a machine that is located on the remote site and unused, you can use it as a relay and remote to it. because it's on the private subnet you'll be able to use it to reach all other IPs.

It'll be logically similar using a commserver type router when administering console objects on a remote network. it'll all depend on the type of remote environment you are working with.

If you were local to the site you wouldn't log on to each machine individually, why would you configure a separate port connection for each remote PC?

As far as your inability to connect to the first PC, what is your configuration at this point? Hanoi is on the money with site to site, but once that's in place, you'll have a local IP to the remote network if you choose and will be able to route to each of the remote machines on different IP addresses while the VPN is up, eliminating the need to have different port numbers for RDP.

Seems you have a few options to consider. Can you provide more information on your hardware capabilities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back