Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN to network behind linksys router

Status
Not open for further replies.

rpg121

Programmer
Mar 14, 2001
US
I have a network I want to connect to from a remote location, the only problem is I have a Linksys Router (BEFSR11) between my internet connection and my network. I've tried to intiate VPN connections but I can never get a connection.
My question is:
How do I make a VPN connection to my network, from a remote location, so I can access the computers on my network?

(Router Internal IP is 192.168.1.1, the computer I wish to have Primary access to is 293.168.1.101. I'm not giving out my external IP (For security reasons:) )

What OS is the Network.
It the router running N.A.T.?

Aside from setting up VPN on the Server, you need Port 1783 and protocol gre 40 or 47 (I forget which one) open on the router and pointing to the internal address of your server.

GlennA
glenna@abelson.com
"Getting older sucks."

I'd suggest updating the firmware of the Linksys as well -- they've made a lot of recent changes to accommodate VPN users, and some configurations just plain won't work without updating. Check out the support section of the website at It's not "simple" but follow the instructions carefully and you'll find it straightforward. Often this fixes your problems immediately.

Good luck..

I am running XP and 98 (mostly xp). My router IS running NAT and was firmware update 1.30.2 (Oct 2001). If this information helps any good people, then use it wisely.

Interesting enough, I just did this 2 days ago.. First forward port 1723 to your vpn server like glenna suggested. Then you need to bind your external ip to the interface your excepting vpn connections on. All should be well. =)

I am having the same problem, what do you mean by "bind you external ip to the interface"? I have the port forwarded, and I know the server is set up correctly, I can connect when behind the linksys, but not when trying through the internet.

Im having the exact same problem. I have the port forwarded but it works on the LAN, but not when im outside it..

I finally got it to work. I forwarded three different ports. I forwarded 1723, 47, and 500 to the VPN server. PPTP and IPSEC passthroughs are enabled. It works great. Hopes this helps anyone else who is having trouble.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back