Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN through NAT

Status
Not open for further replies.

CaptNeo

Technical User
Jun 4, 2002
US
I have a network that is connected to the Internet via Frame Relay. I setup the router with DHCP and NAT. My Win2k server has a static ip, DHCP, DNS, AD and I configured it as a VPN server. I setup one computer as VPN client and dial-up connections to the Internet.

I can dial-up to the Internet with no problems, the VPN server my office is running but when I try to connect to it, the authentication fails. I know I put in the right id and password as well as the domain but I couldn't go pass through it.

I looked at the event viewer on the server and I found numerous attempts that I did but failed an authentication because of unknown username or a bad password.

Can anyone help me on this?

Did you give permission to the user to use the VPN? You must do this even for the Administrator account. This is a common problem.

Hi,
I think you should consider in authentication server, when you build VPN server, did you use IAS or windows logon? If you use IAS you must configure security policy, or you can use AD logon.
In win2K, you don't worry about NAT or NAPT, because It doesn't matter. I had configure VPN server connect through NAT/PAT/Firewall, no problem with MS. VPN client. This is a good news, but I suggest that you should consider authentication or authorization.

Good luck.

MK.

The users have permissions to use vpn.

vuongxibul,
how did you configure your vpn server through nat/pat?

yes,
I did it with Cisco PIX and Cisco IOS router.
and I met your problem with cisco vpn client 3000, but I can access via MS VPN client.
What do you mean when you ask me, CaptNeo?

I don't have any CISCO Pix, I only have a CISCO router configured with NAT/PAT and a Win2k Server configured as the VPN server.

What's your setup and how/what did you do to setup VPN?

I have a simular situation, I have 2 domains/networks separated by a pix firewall. I vpn onto one network and need to login to the 2nd network. How do I set up the firewall and NAT to allow NT authentication to this domain? Any help would be greatly appreciated !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back