Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Static IP Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mousejock

MIS
Sep 30, 2008
CA
I have several users that are VPNing into our network and I would like to be able to assign them each a specific IP address for support and remote access purposes.

Could someone give me a brief how-to please and thank you?

Here's what I wish would work: Tell RRAS to use DHCP for the address pool. Then collect the MAC addresses of the remote clients and create reservations. The problem is that I think all VPN clients use the same fake MAC address when they connect.

Try this: open up a VPN to a remote server and then check your VPN connection MAC via ipconfig /all.

Here's mine: 00-53-45-00-00-00

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Right you are... same Mac as you.

So not doable? I seem to remember a thread here mentioning the setting under Dial-In section of a User in AD?

You're right. You can assign a static IP address to a user in the AD on the Dial-in tab. I would just pick something near the top of the DHCP range and make an exclusion (not a reservation) for it.

Dave Shackelford
Shackelford Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back