Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

abauche

Technical User
Mar 6, 2003
MX
I Want to Set Up a VPN connection between two branch offices ubicated in different States, if i need at least 128 Kbps of speed in the VPN and im using 2 Cisco 1751 routers what type of Broadband Connections i need of the Offices to reach this type of performance because i heard that the VPNS sre very Slow
Thanks

I am having major problems using a site to site PIX vpn from a 1/2 T1 to a DSL 128k. I can get from the DSL to the T1 with no problem but the return is horrible. I get response times averaging 800ms on pings (some close to 3000ms). I dont recommend VPN with a 128k connection.

What do You Think if in ones Side (server) i have a 2Mbps/512 Kbps ADSL and in the Client Side a 512/256 Kbps, and another question if i use a very light ecriptation and Cisco routers in my VPN ,
This will increase the performance ??

Currently I have Cisco ubr905 routers being used as Cable modems with 1.5x768 speed on both sides of my vpn doing a router to router vpn with linksys routers... before I was using sdsl since then I have upgraded bandwidth to have a faster vpn. I can see a faster download time when transferring files now...but I'm still having a problem with client machines latency accessing mapped drives through the remote vpn in order to run a program on the client machines.

The local machines are very fast accessing the server but the ones on the remote side still have latency and erratic ping times due to internet traffic I imagine. What is ideal for vpn's T1 lines on each end? If this is the performance you get from VPN's it's rather frustrating and I hope I can find a solution.

I'm considering tonight adding another wins server to the remote location in hope that this will improve the latency issue being that the two wins servers can then make each other happy. It would be nice if someone could post an article on how to create a fast vpn with remote hosts instead of all this trial and error stuff I have been doing. But as I progress I will post my results. Someone has to have the knowledge :)

Peace,

Pizzaman

I think any DSL connection gives poor performance with vpn been there done that already...

Pizzaman

I also do not recommend any ADSL. You want SDSL or better for a good VPN connection.

abauche,

A VPN is only as fast as the slowest upload speed, LESS any added data. i.e. Encryption, etc. In my experience with a 128K upload connection, I would see a best of about 90K. 256K up on both ends or better should get you over the 128K hurdle. However, as Pizzaman points out, VPN's can be very frustrating. Opening a large file can be a 'go to lunch' affair and opening any Office software is a pure waste of time. Small, but frequent data trasfers and remote operation is what they seem to do best. In my experience.

Best of Luck!

Hi,
I'm also experiencing response time problems with VPN.
I use COM21 Pro cable modems and 512kbps links.
Tracing the network I could see that the frame latency time is high (100 to 200 ms). When you use FTP transfers the throughput is good (ca nominal speed) but when you are in a Microsoft environment and for example you expand a remote directory with the explorer response time is horrible. I think the problem comes from the SMB protocol (alias CIFS) because for each frame there is a response frame from the remote and if you have many frames (which is the case if the tree is huge) it's very long (ca 200 ms * nb frames). With FTP it's not the same because you ack only within the window...
I'm trying Terminal SErver solutions : response time is good.

Can someone explain to me what the difference is between ADSL and SDSL?
I understand that the upload/download speeds can be different on the ADSL.
I have a VPN operating that very often becomes practically unuseable, I get the feeling a SDSL might be a better option!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back