Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dsdjnpfvf

IS-IT--Management
Aug 21, 2003
GB
Hi,

I wanted to get some peoples opinions on VPN solutions. My company is about to upgrade to Windows 2003 Server and it would be useful to implement some sort of VPN solution. It would only be a small implementation, with maybe 3 or clients connected at the same time max.

I've heard some bad things about Windows RRAS VPN. What's peoples opinions here on it? Is a hardware VPN solution worth it at this scale? Any other software alternatives people would recommend besides RRAS VPN?

I'm particularly interested in peoples views on the Windows RRAS VPN method, as this will probably be what I will use unless there are some serious issues I should be considering.

Many thanks,

Daniel

Cisco firewall/routers are exccelent for VPN but cost more than other routers. Normally, windows 2003 RRAS works fine if it is no on a multihomed DC.

Robert Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
Windows, Network, Internet, VPN, Routing and How to at

I have used the vigor draytek routers and found them to be ok for low usage and they were fine, very simple to use and low cost. a lot of people have speed trouble opening MS Word docs on VPN try using Cable nut to tweek the settings it makes all the difference.

ChicagoTechNet - why would you say it's fine if it's not on a multihomed PC? Security?

Sorry, I meant multihomed DC (Domain COntroller) and not PC :)

So am I understanding this correctly...

On a multihomed RRAS server, you can experience computer browser problems, which you don't want on Domain Controller?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back