Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN server on win2k

Status
Not open for further replies.

azzameen

Technical User
Apr 10, 2003
SE
Ive think ive started a vpn server on my win2k server. Opened the ports 1723 and 47 on the firewall/router.

Later when I try to connect to it with my other computer (that runs winXP) I get this..

Dialing...217.xxx.xxx.xxx
Dialing attempt 1.
Dialing...
Connected to remote computer.
Verifying user name and password...
Failed to connect to remote computer.
Unable to establish a connection.

Anyone got a clue?

My friend just tested over the internet, he got this:

TCP/IP CP reported error 733: your computer and the remote comouter could not agree on PPP control protocols

Still no clue?

I am not a VPN guru but it PPP is POIN TO POIN Protocol, try using L2TP instead. Make sure both of you are using it..

Make sure that the user name you are trying to connect with is marked for "remote access". (It can look confusing - the prompts may lead you to believe this is only for dial-up access, but it is required for VPN users, too.)

If this is not it, open the Event Viewer (Administrative Tools) on the server and see if it contains a better error message than is showing on the client.

Make sure your server has both PPTP and L2TP ports available, then in the client VPN properties be sure to enable PPTP type as it requires less configuration. That error usually happens when one is trying to do pptp and other is trying l2tp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back