Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Server + Dynamic DNS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 24, 2003
CA
does anyone know of a package compareable to the smoothwall that's supports both Dynamic DNS as well as VPN???

This is the problem I am running into...Smoothwall is great and supports dynamic DNS....But the VPN side of it requires an IP. If my IP is dynamic, then this solution is useless to me. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
Rory

only one end of a smoothwall->smoothwall vpn requires a static IP.

Other than this priceless piece of info, I can't be of any more practical help I'm afraid.

Really ?? That may work for me then...Cause one end is on Cable (pretty much static) and the other is DSL...
How can it be setup with one end static and the other Dynamic???...do I need the corp. Server on one end??
I have setup a couple of these VPN's and they had to have the same settings on both ends. Please let me know how I can do this!!! I have a 3 days to implment this solution before I am scheduled to set it up between two remote sites...

P.S. Does anyone else have a boss that sells stuff to his clients before thinking about if it is at all posible to implement???

OK, the cable end should have the more static of the 2 ends for IP's , corpserver on this end will help. (are you in the UK ? - you can pay more for a fixed IP on cable and ADSL to some providers - as little as £10 I believe).

Use smoothwall beta2 for the other end, the vpn support is more flexibe than GPL1. (requires only a target IP.

Set the corpserver to initiate the connection and you should be up and running in about an hour (this allows time to install both ends too) :)

Thank-You ...No I am in Canada. I have been trying to get a static IP..I will be able to eventually for the DSL. This helps. Thanks again!
....Just one last question how does corp serv no what IP to connect if it is dynamic on the other end?? does my client have to manually connect and find the IP every time?? This is not a huge concern because I am running Dynamic DNS for them, but they are fairly computer illiterate (I should say extremly but I am being nice ..heh)

sorry got that round the wrong way, the client initiates the connection to the most static(ish) IP , more success this way. (had to take a peep at how I've got mine set up here ;-))

To answer your last question, yes, all bosses and/or salespeople sell solutions that may or may not work. Unfortunately, that is the way of the world. The only good that comes out of it is that we get to learn more and be creative in our solutions. The downside is more hours for less pay. Sigh!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back