Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Server & Bandwidth Requirments

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 26, 2001
US
I am setting up a VPN for a company who has a centralized main office with about 6 remote users of an Access2000 database. I am planning on establishing a VPN and using terminal services to access the database.

I would appreciate any stearing as far as hardware and bandwidth is concerned. I plan on ordering a new server in the next few weeks. I have sattelite installations occuring at the remote offices; the main office has 128K of dedicated (partial T1) access.

Any pitfalls to watch out for?

-Thanks
Tom, Baltimore

Your 128Kbps will be a problem. Even if you have your remote 6 users only on dial-up modems, this will be an issue. The encryption and overhead will provide you an effective throughput of 19.2 Kbps on the 128. The dial up users will suffer at 9.8kbps.

Give me a call at 425-222-9555 x 22 and I can see what you are looking for and maybe provide some real options. No charge.
Jeff

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back