Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN - SecureRemote Connection - Newbie!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chunky28

Technical User
Apr 14, 2003
GB
We have a Safe@Office 110 which runs Check Point VPN-1 Embedded NG developed by SofaWare Technologies.

I am attempting to setup VPN but the user guide is not too helpful.

Background to problem:

I have enabled the VPN server.
- Remote access mode and the unrestricted access box is checked.

I have created a VPN site
- using the IP address of the appliance

I can login successfully within the VPN login tab.
- A new window appears saying I am connected.

However there is very little information regarding how I can gain access to the internal network resources e.g. pc filesystems, mail servers etc.

I have installed SecureRemote for administrators.
This comes with secureclient and secureclient diagnostics.

If I open secureclient a secure client connection window is displayed.

But there does not appear to be any documentation on how to make a connection. If I try to create a new connection profile I can enter a name but then I have to select a site but the drop down list is empty!!

Alternatively I can select use dialup and select my ISP dialup connection (BTOpenWorld - Anytime) but the connect button is greyed out.

If I open SecureClient diagnotics there are 4 categories:
1. Critical Notification - is crossed - says SecureClient is disconnected, policy is not loaded, machine is not securely configured.
2. SecureClient - is crossed - says SecureClient is active, machine is not securely configured.
3. Connection - is ticked
4.Compter - is ticked

If I run an active test I get:

Invalidating encryption keys:
Invalidated encryption keys successfully

Description: Ping loop-back:
Result: Ping was sent successfully

Description: Ping Default gateway
Result: Ping was sent successfully.

Active test completed.

So I can access the GUI for the appliance using a dial-up connection and I can login to the VPN but under Reports and tunnels there are no established VPN tunnels displayed.

Could someone please point me in the right direction or suggest where I can get decent documentation?

Thanks

Charlie

problem resolved!!

Found the following info:

- Certificates are not supported with client-to-site VPN connections (only on site-to-site to a different Safe@ appliance or VPN-1), you should use pre-shared secret for your VPN authentication.
- The Safe@ User Guide can be downloaded from here: (please read it carefully and use it as a reference).
- You should use a Check Point SecuRemote VPN client for your client-to-site VPN (Please download it from here: -- The authentication information you need to enter on your SecuRemote client is the username/password of the VPN user you have configured on your Safe@ VPN server side (this is the pre-shared secret).

The VPN on XP is a simple PPTP dialup client and not IPSec compliant so it cannot be used with your Safe@ VPN server.

Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back