Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Routers

Status
Not open for further replies.

AMSREP

Technical User
Oct 15, 2009
US
Hi,

I'm new to the forum as well as setting up VPN's. Currently, I have to find a solution to set-up a IPSec tunnel for remote access to another gateway/location which uses CheckPoint Firewall for their Tunnel.

The following are a few questions I have since I would like to learn how to setup a VPN IPSec Tunnel.

1) Do I need to purchase a VPN Server or can I get a router with VPN functionality or a VPN Firewall? If the latter of the two, please advise as to which one we should purchase and keep in mind that this will be installed in small office with only 8PC's.
2) Since this will be a gateway to gateway connection, do I still need to purchase an IPSec Client such as TheGreenBow VPN Client? Or, is the client software not needed since I am setting up Gateway to Gateway tunnel.
3) How complicated is it to set something like this up since this will be my first time attempting to implement VPN?

Sorry for the newbie questions, but after researching on the net, I am still unclear as to which direction I should go with the above.

Any help/suggestions would be much appreciated it.

Thanks

1) a true VPN router (not just passthrough, but able to be an endpoint) means you do not need client software or machine changes at either end. (assuming the networks do not both use the same addressing scheme, not both on 192.168.1.x for example) I use and am happy with the RV042, although there are many others.

2) No additional software at either end.

3 You need to konw the external IP address at each end, you can find it with
You need to decide on a Preshared key, a favorite sentence is fine.

You need to print out the IPSEC VPN configuration page on both routers/firewalls and try to match the buzzwords used by both companys.

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

jimbopalmer,

Thanks very much for your prompt response.

Yes, currently we have router which only provides passthrough. I'll take a look at the model that you are using as well as other true VPN routers.

Thanks again for answering my questions thoroughly.

Also look at Netgear FVS318 router they work very well and to maintain a reliable VPN tunnel you should have a static IP from your ISP.

Thanks dberg35, I'll take a look at the model that you have recommended as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back