Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Router Problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaredthensomenumbers

Technical User
Sep 20, 2003
GB
Hi

I recently aquired 2 Linksys BEFVP41 vpn routers to try to connect my home PC to my work PC. I have a PPPoA ADSL connection in my work place, with a static IP. However, the linksys vpn router only gives the options to connect to the internet using DHCP, Static IP, or PPPoE, and no PPPoA. I also have a Netgear DM602 modem connected infront of the router so I can connect to the net (it supports both PPPoE and PPPoA)

Can my router still work with the PPPoA line? If so, How? If not, what do I need to do to get it working?

Thanking You in advance

Javad

Sounds like you should be good to go. The DM602 deals with the ATM (the A in PPPoA) network on the telco side and spits out pure IP on the other end.

So, no, your router can't work directly with the PPPoA line, but yes it can work behind the modem.

The problem is, if the DM602 is set as a router, the Linksys cannot make a VPN tunnel through the Netgear. So, it has to be set as a modem.

So from what you say, I wont' be able to connect the VPN router to the net?

The DM602 is a modem -- not capable of acting as a router, unless I am mistaken. You should be able to connect the VPN router to the LAN side of the modem without any problem.

Well, I am mistaken.

The DM602 does have a router mode. Never used it, but it's there. Why would you call something a modem if it can act like a router? Sorry, will save the rants for later.

Still like the option of running the DM602 in modem mode and setting the VPN router directly behind it.

Even in router mode, you should be able to setup port forwarding to the router and get it to fly, although reading further I am not sure. Better alternative could be to set the VPN router as the DMZ server. With either of those options, you will need to make sure that your BEFVP41 firmware is up to date.

Hi

mhkwood, , I don't think you fully understood the problem.
- My ADSL line uses PPPoA
- My ADSL Line has a static IP
- My Modem supports both PPPoA and PPPoE
- However my VPN Router only supports PPPoE
- My ADSL Modem is also a Router
- When I connect the Modem as a Router, the internet works fine through the VPN Router which is behind the Modem. BUT, I am unable to create any VPN Tunnels through the Modem (as it is configured as a router which does not support VPN Passthrough)
- When I set the Modem up as a Modem, the VPN Router is unable to connect to the net as it only supports PPPoE.

What can I do to get an Internet Connection through the VPN Router, and yet at the same time be able to create a VPN Tunnel? Does it matter if you use PPPoE (on the VPN Router) on a PPPoA Line?

Thanks

You need to configure your modem as router handling PPPOA and performing routing.

In your modem you have to select Linky WAN ( static NATted )IP as DMZ or default server, depending on the modem brand. If there is IPSEC passthru in modem, enable this as well. Some modems have 1 to 1 NAT which does the same.

In this scenario all data is passed to Linky WAN IP and IPSec should work.

moghisi101 -- you're correct, I didn't understand the problem at first. Again, I was thinking the DM602 was a modem only with no routing capability. I did pick it up, and my prior post should be accurate.

You should be able to run the DM602 in router mode and let the BEFVP41 handle logging onto the ISP network. This might not be an option, depending upon how your ISP is configured.

As I stated before, a better option for you would be to set the BEFVP41 up as a DMZ server. Everything should get passed to the DMZ with no filtering. markku has suggested the same thing (along with some other options that will not work with DM602).

Check your reference manual (not the intallation guide) index for DMZ under the advanced options. If you don't have one, check here:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back