Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Remote phone for 46XX phones. 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
i know a few Avaya guys testing these at home, they saw it works pretty good. they have even played around with making them wireless, lol

I heard it,s compatible with cisco now is this true.

Greets Peter

We're working with a couple.

To my knoweldge they are NOT compatible with a Cisco VPN. You need to purchase the VPN front end for the Avaya CM/S-server.

Yes, it is now compatible with a Cisco concentrator. We are testing it and it work great. Very easy to setup as well. There is a document called "VPNremote Phone Administrators Cisco Guide.pdf" that walks you through the entire concentrator setup.

I would be intersted in any information you have on how to get the VPN client installed in the 4600 set to begin with.

Kyle Holladay
Certified: ACACN, ACSCI, ACSCM, TIA-CTP
"If it worked the way it should you wouldn't need me

To get the firmware on the phone the documentation says to put the phone in a group. I cheated by renaming the 46vpnupgrade.scr to 46xxupgrade.scr. I did this with TFTP running on my PC. DON"T do this on the TFTP for all your IP phones since a reboot of the phones would upgrade them.

We're using it with CM 2.2. and the Cisco VPN 3030 -- it works great!!

Got it working through a PIX, works fine.
Make sure your Medpro's are on recent firmware..
Took me a while to figure it out, but once I upgraded them it was OK.
The older versions had some issues, and would not work properly.

Can this be used with any standard vpn gateway?

I have a home user who wants to connect to the office with a 4610sw. It has the vpnremote installed on the phone.

We have ISA Server and also Watchguard vpn hardware, both of which can handle standard vpn connections.

If I have the phone point to the vpn hardware and have the hardware redirect to the IP Office, is this all I need to do?

Thanks,

You would just have to try it. The documentation suggests there is support for generic VPN devices using a generic profile.

We were running the new VPN load on 4610s at home through the Cisco 3000 VPN concentrator. After a month our the phones quit working. Apparently we need to load a WebLM server on our TFTP or HTTP server that hands out WebLM licenses in addition to the standard RTU in the PBX.

So if you want to use 4610s with the VPN firmware so the phone will set up it's own VPN tunnel you need to buy additional WebLM RTU. You also will need to keep track of how much WebLM RTU you have left by looking at the WebLM server.

Basically you have to pay double RTU if you want to use VPN hard phones...............Not too happy about this.......

Any word on where this doc is?
"VPNremote Phone Administrators Cisco Guide.pdf"

I've looked for it but starting to think CBB is referring to the LAN or ADMIN guide which dosen't mention Cisco.

I believe the doc in question is called:

VPNremote for the 4600 Series IP Telephones
Release 2.0
Adminstrators Guide

This is an Avaya doc so it should be on the Support section of the Avaya website.

how do you tell the vpn remote phone where the WebLM server is? I have registered five remote licenses with a WebLM server I set up, but am not sure how to let the VPN remote phones know where the WebLM server is. Also, how does the WebLM server handle allocations/deallocations? Does the VPN remote phone periodically re-validate its license? Check it in and check it out? What happens if I delete an IP station used by a remote employee, for example the remote employee leaves our company. How do I get that license put back into WebLM for another user to use?

Although I haven't gotten there yet, the answer to the above question is in the guide the previous posters spoke of:
SET NVWEBLMURL http://
XX.XX.XX.XX:8080/WebLM/
LicenseServer

However, I am still stuck on one of the first and probably simplest steps... when I put a phone in group 876, and have the added snippet of code in the 46xxupgrade.scr file, the phone never goes to get the 46xxvpn.scr like it's supposed to (assuming its in that group).... how can I test or status to verify the phone is really in the group I think it is?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back