Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Remote for 5600 IP Phones & IP Office? 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

superikey

Technical User
Nov 12, 2005
US
Does anyone know when Avaya Plans to release VPN Remote for 5600 IP Phones to connect to the IP Office? I have clients who wish to travel with IP Phones without having to configure them and/or VPN Devices.

Ike
ICCS

Some people been saying we might get it at release 4.0, but haven't seen anything confirming this yet.

this would really be a great feature to have sooner rather than later. we have also lost a few sales to competing vendors who allow ip phones to be plugged in anywhere.

Any ideas on how to have a user take an IP phone to say a hotel and simply plug it in without all the current complexities?

At the least, Does anyone know if there is a simple and small ipsec vpn hardware client that 1) will work behind NAT and 2) will work with a dynamic IP?

Isaac Braca
CTO / ICCS & Co., LLC.
Email: braca@iccsllc.com

ICCS, Your Premier IT Partner, is a NYC Based Avaya Business Partner and IT Consulting Firm.

I've heard rumors it will be this year because the SIP phones will not come before the end of next year.
We miss potentional customers because of this.
And i have the software but it only works with the Avaya SG VPN routers.

Does it work with the Avaya SG VPN routers with IP Office? Does it work with 5600 phones or only 4600?

its only 4600 series...the sg limitation is complete BS...there are too many VPN solutions that AVAYA eliminates their solution to beating SIP by being proprietary...i would like to see how it deals with QoS on encrypted packets...i bet in won't put 10111000 (diffserv 184 0xB8) in the header...shame on you AVAYA...sip is kicking IPO's a$$.

But I'm curious though, are your customers willing to carry a phone around when they travel instead of using their notebook and a softphone?
Usually you already have your laptop with you so why not use that?

what about a mobile phone
with the right contract you can even make internal with it

It's not limited to SG anymore, it works with Cisco and Juniper now...

Is there a document you can point us to that confirms that its not just SG anymore? I heard rumors, but nothing concrete...

Thanks...

Kris G.

Andha sanyone gotten this to work with IP Office?

Section I: New Features in VPNremote Telephone

VPNphone delivers the next generation of secure remote

IP telephony. VPNphone provides secure Voice over IP for

both local and remote users with a stand alone IP telephone.

For VoIP, it allows users to use the same phone number,

irrespective of the location.

New Functionality includes:

1. Support for Cisco PIX and VPN Concentrators series

2. Support for Juniper-Netscreen

3. Support for Xauth authentication

4. Diagnostic tool called Qtest

5. WebLM License support

Section II: System requirements

1. IP Telephone models 4610, 4620, 4621, 4622 and 4625

2. Security Gateway

Firmware version 4.6.22 or above

3. Cisco VPN 3000 Series Concentrators

4. Cisco PIX 500 Series Security Appliances

5. Netscreen/Juniper NS series VPN Devices

Screen OS 5.1.0 or above

6. Netscreen/Juniper SSG Series VPN Devices

Screen OS 5.1.0 or above

7. Netscreen/Juniper ISG Series VPN Devices

Screen OS 5.1.0 or above

Greets Peter

So, Has anyone gotten this to work with IP Office?

According to this document it works with IPOffice and 5600 series phone. The test was conducted by Avaya in their lab but used Avaya SG.

Now 4600 series works (or supposed to work)with Cisco and Juniper, I am not sure that will be the case with 5600 series phone. That would be cool for us if it works with Cisco since we already have Cisco PIX 500 device. We have about 6 staffs work from home and i am really waiting for this feature. Actually we were told by Avaya regional rep in April that by end of July IPOffice and VPNRemote feature should become available and that was one of the reason we went with IPOffice.

The phone they tested against the IPO was a 4620SW, they had 2 5610 connected on the local LAN in their test lab.

Also, shouldn't the VPNRemote work against any VPN solution that configured to use the same protocols that the SG is. Doesn't seem as they are using anything but standards.
Got to dig out a phone from our storeroom so I can test it against our linuxbox.

khayulay,
You 'da man. I was going to try it on the IP to see what happens (here's a star).

janni78,
Avaya, Cisco, Juniper, and ANY are the settings that can be chosen. I'm going to test w/ a small netgear VPN firewall this week with my fingers crossed.

Kris G.

Any one tested connecting VPNRemote phone to IPO with Cisco or Netgear VPN router? I would like to know if there was any success.

by the way kristiandg thnks for the *, feel good to get my first one lol

Success!

We have 2 VPNremote phones running now :)

Equipment used:
VPN Router: Intermate TrustGate 5/31
4620SW
4621SW
IPO v 3.2(17)

And we are running full QoS here. The VPN phone tags the VPN-packets with the correct TOS-value, so that our TrustGate is able to prioritice the trafic correctly.

The phones are using the Xauth-profile

It's just too nice ;-)

And you have been able to plug the phones in anywhere?

Any luck getting this to work with 56xx phones?

Where did you get thi TrustGate appliance? How much is it? Aside from the QOS, Would it be any different If I used any capable IPsec VPN Device?

Thanks
Ike

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back