Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Remote 5610 Netgear FVS338

Status
Not open for further replies.

puregold

Instructor
Nov 5, 2007
GB
Running as sweet as the proverbial.

Speech is great etc.

Just in case anybody was thinking of going down that particular route.

ACE - Avaya Certified Expert
ACI - Avaya Certified Instructor

Yeah, I was... Since I can't get my Netgear FVVS124G to work (just says discovering after the tunnel is created). I've now ordered a 338.

Kris G.

I have got FVS338 with a VPN phone and works a treat as per the tech bullitin.

Sounds promising. Has anyone tried Juniper Netscreens? I know it's supposed to be supported.

I have moved from a cisco PIX 511 to the netgear and am having a netmare with it.

The phone keeps relogin in to the firewall and getting a new IP address, its as it phase 2 keeps restarting as the first tunnel always stays connected.

Any ideas chaps, I have followed the Avaya tech tip to the letter 184. If I cant get this to work soon I will have to go back onto the cisco.

We have some sites with Juniper and they are not running well. The phones seem to reboot all the time, drop the tunnel. you name it. it happens during calls.

Kwing112000 this is exactly the same problem I am having on the netgear.

What I have noticed however is on one phone that is partically bad the remote ADSL connection keeps changeing it IP address, which I would expect to course issues, however this has noticably gotten worse on the netgear, I am going to switch back to to pix and monitor to try and work out why one is effect more than the other.

Have you had any issues with the phones losing connection to the FVS338? We currently have this deployed in an office and the phones can connect and work fine, but after an uncertain amount of time all the VPN phones lose the link at the same time. There doesn't appear to be any slips on the circuit and the users are on different networks and ISP's.

Anyone have an idea of where I can begin to try and figure this out?

You could begin with using monitor to see if there is a timeout

ACA - Implement IP Office
ACA - Voice Services Management

I have not had any experience of that no.

You can also run a monitor from within the router too, there is a vpn log and a packet trace utility.

There was an H323 bug in the FVS318. Netgear put out a new firmware patch for it, but it did not fix it for me. It allowed the phones to register, but they would reboot intermittently, some times in the middle of a call. So I ended up swapping those out. The FVS114 and the FVS338 have worked great, but I avoid the FVS318 at all costs. Just an FYI to everyone to hopefully save some headache, because customers seem to get their hands on the FVS318 constantly, and we have to tell them to return it.

Still having issues with a FVS338 creating multiple sessions for each phone. Currenlty this is with Netgear who are investigating the issue as if I put the cisco PIX back in place I dont have any problems.

I will post feedback as I get it.

Mine does this if it isnt able to keep the phone up. IE

When i was first setting this up i ndid a couple or things worng and the handset set up it vpn tunnel but couldnt speak to the IPO for one reason or another. If this occured the handset would restart and start again.

It would then get a new IP address etc and try again, it would keep doing this until it had exhausted its IP address pool.

Now i have it set up correctly it works fine. i think the router holds the ip address for a time but drops it after a period of time (im not sure where this setting is in the router.)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back