Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN QUESTION IS WEIRD

Status
Not open for further replies.

NightGhos

Programmer
Nov 5, 2004
US
I have an small office with a DSL Service and Static IP, i've being having problems with the VPN connection and I noticed that the mask for my Static IP is 255.255.255.255 if i'm recalling correctly i cannot do an VPN IPSec with this type of subnet mask, one location have 255.255.255.248 and the other one have 255.255.255.255 i found that weird, isn't the last 255 wrong? should leave something for the traffic?
Please give me a hint. Here a little drawing:

LOCATION 1 LOCATION 2
IP: x.x.x.x --VPN ---- IP: x.x.x.x
Mask: 255.255.255.248 Mask: 255.255.255.255

That can happen?

===================================
Never underestimate the power of stupid people in big numbers

this thing happen where your dsl/vpn router comes behind a firewall/router. try it and what erorr. u get

Rana Arshad Ahmad
Manager Networks
MCSE,CCNA

Ok, practically i have a Cisco Router behind the Modem (the one that have 255.255.255.255) and i was ICMP the Cisco Router because that is the one that manage the rest of the network.

So I have this:

Cisco ---- DSL Modem ---- IPSec ------ T1 ------ Cisco
x.x.x.x

But i cannot figure it out.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in big numbers

so what kind of problems are you having? connecting? staying connected? routing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back