Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Question from newbie

Status
Not open for further replies.

w2rus

Technical User
Sep 20, 2003
GB
Hi,

I have 2 routers/vpn endpoints which establish a tunnel with no problems at all. However, the 2 networks cannot see each other. Pings or Traceroutes don't work, to the routers lan address or an address of a computer on the network.

One internal network is 192.168.0.0 255.255.255.255 and the other 192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0

Both sites have static public IP addresses, all setting on each router match, ie encryption, shared keys etc

Can any one tell me a url of where I can get a good guide to the setup of a VPN of this type so I can check I have covered everything I should be doing

Thanks in advance

Sorry

Typing mistake there, both subnets are 255.255.255.0

Thanks

You'll need to let each side know about the other. The routers should be made aware that the address pools are accessible via the VPN interfaces and the each VPN should define both the local and remote end networks.

Cheers for that reissmann

Will give it ago and update

thanks

w2rus

Ok,

I now have a statc route defined on each of the routers to the remote network using the public IP address of the remote site for the gateway, I assume this is correct

The tunnel still creates with no problem, but can't still even ping the remote network either way

Any other ideas?

I am sure I must have missed something somewhere

Thanks in advance

W2rus

W2rus,
On the 192.168.0.0 side you should somewhere within your VPN setup be defining the remote 192.168.1.0 network ... likely in the same area where you defined the remote public side. Vise-versa is true for the opposite direction. Are these devices directly connected or are there any intermdeiate devices inbetween?

Thanks for all your help,

I got it to work by using client software on my laptop instead of 2 endpoints.

It does to job I currently need

Thanks again for any help

W2rus

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back