Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Problems 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

boab1965

Technical User
Nov 4, 2005
GB
With the help of those nice Netgear technicians I managed to get the VPN running using a FVS318v3 and the Netgear Prosafe VPN Client software.

It connects no problem now and I've setup LMHosts to point to our servers (There's only a couple so no big deal looking after the file)

When I reboot the laptop and connect onto the VPN I can't map any drives. I get an Error 5 when I net use q: \\server\share. When I run net view \\server it displays the available resourses on that server. I can now connect to all the shares, printers etc that I need to.

Anyone got any ideas whats causing it and how I can get round it.

boab1965,
it is very strange, can you map the drive using explorer, tools, map network drive?
can you ping the host by name?
you don't need to use lmhosts, use host only.
if you already have a drive Q: you need to dlete it first before re-map.

Hope it helps,

Niltinho
BEng,CCNA,MCSA,CNA

Thanks for your help

I can't map a drive using explorer before I run net view \\server name. I get asked for a username and password. After I run net view it works no problem.

I'm taking the laptop home tonight. I'll run the net view command in the batch file and see if that helps. It's more a fudge than a complete fix so to speak.

Thanks again

b

boab1965,

That's your problem, by default you don't have access to the resource you trying to connect, once you run net view and enter the relevant credentials it will work. You need to make sure that the authenticated user running the mapping has access to the resource. is it a domain or workgroup?

If domain give rights to the user to the resource (share/folder).

If workgroup the workaround is to create a local user where the resource exist with the same password and give rights to that local user to the resource.

Hope it helps.

Nilton

Niltinho
BEng,CCNA,MCSA,CNA

The account I'm logging on to works fine when the laptop is logged into the domain at work and has access to all the shares etc that it should have.

Process at home is.

Login to laptop using Username and domain from work. (no change to make it easy for the users to understand. It does pull up an error about the profile????)

Laptop takes IP info from local network.

Connect to VPN using Netgear Prosafe software.

Open DOS box and issue "net use t: \\server\share", command responds with "The password is invalid for \\server\share"

Issue "net view \\server" and after about 30 seconds get the list of available shares etc.

Re-issue "net use t: \\server\share" and get the response "The command completed successfully"

I can now run the script to connect all the drives.

I added "net view \\server" to the script and rebooted the machine. Once I'd logged on I immediately ran the script and it connected to all the drives it was supposed to.

I haven’t changed the user permissions.

Thanks for your help

Robert

I see,

problem here is you need the tunnell up before windows logon.
You can set that up with Cisco VPN Client, but don't know about Netgear Prosafe software. with the cisco you can even dial the connection before tunnel and then logon

Niltinho
BEng,CCNA,MCSA,CNA

Thanks but we've a netgear VPN router here.

Does the Cisco client software support Netgear routers or would the Norton VPN Client be a better option?

Thanks for all you help

Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back