Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN problems on Windows 2000 / Win2K server

Status
Not open for further replies.

imij11

IS-IT--Management
Oct 24, 2002
US
I have a Win2K server that is a DC on a small LAN. We recently moved to a new office building which has a T1 Line that distributes Internet access to all the offices. Our previous office had a static IP from a local ISP. They also provided a combination DSL modem/router which was set as the gateway to the Internet. The Server handled DHCP, DNS, and RAS Duties. Since moving to this new building the originally none of the configuration had changed other than the "ISP" and the Router which is now a US Robotics. Yet we could not access the VPN (PPTP)from outside the office. When we tried to access the VPN the server and LAN would loose Internet access and no VPN connection was established.

Since this problem I've deleted and reconfigured RRAS and DHCP. Now If I try to connect to the VPN just the server loses internet access but none of the other PC's do. However when I check the network config of the workstations they still have the Server as the DNS. I restart the RRAS service to regain Internet access on the server. Oh, also after reconfiguring RRAS and DHCP I put the routers IP address as the secondary DNS in the servers tcp/ip settings, otherwise it wouldn't get out on the web. I can't figure out what is going on can anyone help? Should I just get something like a netgear prosafe VPN? I'd rather not if I can avoid it.

Figured it out. Changed the Router to a new Netgear Prosafe and it worked. I was going to use the netgear client to create a vpn tunnel, but I reconfigured the VPN and RRAS again and it worked. Apparently the old router was not allowing VPN pass-through.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back