Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN problems, no internet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ilovecocks

IS-IT--Management
Jan 11, 2006
DK
So i get sent to the local network, and can acces anything on the local network, but i can't use the internet. Can anyone help me on this subject?

I am using poptop with a pptp connection, using ms-chap v2 with mppe-128 encryption.
The os is Arch and i have tried using proxyarp and bcrelay none of it work...

Your posting is not very clear.
From what I understood your VPN works but no more internet.

I am not familiar with Arch OS. Is it RH or debian clone? Does it use a linux kernel at all?

were you using Nat and Masquerade to access the internet?

Linux VPN setup normally do not work unless you disable your masquerade. Is that the case?

if that is not the case, send more information.

QatQat

Life is what happens when you are making other plans.

It is using the 2.6.20 kernel, i have not installed masquerade no. Basically i'm on an arch server 1 NIC, using poptop and ppp to accomplish my connection, so far i have come to a point where i can connect to the server and that is as far as it goes. I have no internet through my vpn and can't even access the LAN.

how are you trying to access the INternet? Have you got a router on one of the VPN sites that you want to use for the whole network?

VPN's job is to take you from site A to Site B making sure that you cut out the rest of the Internet.

If one of the sites has an Internet gateway, then that is your access to the Internet. Make sure that that is visible from all subnets, insuring re-routing if necessary, and configure clients that need Internet access accordingly.

QatQat

Life is what happens when you are making other plans.

I have a router for the whole network, it functions as my gateway aswell and only contains 1 subnet, which all of my computers are on.

I am well aware that it is only supposed to take you from a to b, but now i can't even see my network anymore :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back