Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Problem using XP Pro behind router

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul123456

Technical User
Apr 29, 2002
US
I have 1073 and 47 mapped to the private ip of the xp pro machine. I can connect with one client the only problem is is that if another tries to connect it gives an error saying

Error 937: Because another connection of your type is in use, the incoming connection cannot accept your connection request.

i have set up the incoming connection with specify tcp/ip address 192.168.1.240-192.168.1.254

again i can only connect with one person at a time?

what is the cause of this? Thanks, PAUL

It is because you only have 1 public IP address. Even though on your LAN you have multiple internal IP addresses. The VPN server sees that your 1 public IP has made the request and does not allow it to make a second. If you had 2 public IP addresses, you wouldnt have this problem:

IE: Request from first machine(192.168.1.101) is sent though the public ip 66.12.1.10 (your routers public IP. VPN connection is established. Now, second machine 192.168.1.102 makes the same request through the same public IP 66.12.1.10. As far as the VPN server is concerned, you have already established a connection to 66.12.1.10, it knows nothing of your internal network 192.168.1.*.

Hope this helps explain it

so if i were to get 2kserver on there or another program to run vpn i wouldn't work either? i just ran into a big problem then cause i have about 4 clients that need access. for now i have one on remote desktop and a office as the vpn. can't i configure a router to be a vpn client? a linksys? Thanks, PAUL

paul could you tell me exactly how you configured your set up for the xp box through the linksys?

sohosolutions:

The xp box which is the vpn server is behind a polycom router with a T1. i forwarded ports 1073 and 47 to the xp machine. I can vpn fine from a remote location but only 1 person at a time is allowed. i was wondering if i can configure a linksys router as a pptp client for the vpn so that all the users behind the linksys router will have access to the vpn. or maybe if anyone knows of any software that can run as a vpn server to allow more than one connections at a time? Thanks, PAUL

is it possible to set up a vpn to an office that is a peer to peer network. the office uses all xp pro boxes comming off a linksys router from a dsl modem. the dsl service however is dynamic, so the ip address changes every twenty four hours. Do i use the dns suffix in the set up and forward the port to the private ip addresses I have configured? is there any special config from the home computer that is attaching with the port triggering?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back