Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN PPTP [Server 2008 -> Windows 7] Cant access network

Status
Not open for further replies.

GS2011

IS-IT--Management
Sep 17, 2011
GB
Hi,

I'm really hoping someone can help me as my head is really beginning to hurt.

I have set up my Server (Server 2008) via RRAS as per the guide here (
I've set up a connection on the client (Windows 7) using the inbuilt PPTP connection.

I get a successful connection and get a 10.0.0.0 range IP address (the range that the server is on, the client range is 192.).

The problem I am having is I cannot see any PCs, access any shares, ping any computers, rdp to any computers, UNC to any shares or anything of that sort.

Thanking you in anticipation.

Gaz

what is your local IP address of the client and server?
Then EXACTLY what is the IP address you are assigned on the PPTP virtual interface?
For all the above list the subnet masks as well.

can the client connect to or ping the VPN server?

Hi,

Local ip address is 192.168.1.2 / 255.255.255.0, the ip address of the server is 10.0.0.2 / 255.255.255.0.

When i connect i get 10.0.0.3 / 255.255.255.255.

Clearly that subnet is wrong. how do i change it?

No i cannot ping the server.

the subnet is correct actually. When you VPN that is the subnet you get for windows. is the VPN server also a firewall server? if so it could be blocking the traffic, especially if it is Forefront TMG.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back