Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN, PPTP Linksys Router......Middle East

Status
Not open for further replies.

syndrome

Technical User
May 11, 2002
IL
Hello.

I have a Linksys BEFSRU31 Cable/DSL Router that I bought in the U.S. I know live in Israel and I want to use it. Here, I use a VPN connection in my windows XP to log onto my DSL. I contacted Linksys to see if my router would support VPN and they said that it would add the PPTP option if I upgraded the firmware. I did, and they were right, I can use the PPTP option now. The problem is that I dont understand how it works. I have a VPN IP (10.0.0.XXX), and I have a TCP/IP IP (10.200.1.X). In the Linksys router, it asks for Internal IP (192.168.1.1) and WAN IP. Im not sure which # goes there. But, there is room for only one #.....meaning that one is not used at all. ?? I chnaged the 10.200.1.X on my lan card to 192.168.1.2 so I could manage the router. I think that my main question is: since the router only has a place for 1 of the 2 IP's that my ISP gave me......do I still use a VPN dial up in WIN XP (software) in addition to the setting in the router? If so, how would I do that. (I know how to set up a VPN in Win XP, but not how to set it up to work WITH a router.)

Thanks for your help!!

-Ams

I don't quite understand why your WAN address is a 10.x.x.x
That is a private address. And I am not familiar with the BEFSRU31, but I'll explain how I see it working.

Conventionally the way you would set it up is:

Computer:
IP: 192.168.1.2 Gateway:192.168.1.1
(Most Linksys routers do DHCP serving, so you can just set your computer to obtain an ip address automatically)

Linksys:
LAN IP: 192.168.1.1
WAN IP: IP Address assigned by your ISP

The VPN address will be assigned to your Computer when you make the connection in windows. You should set the VPN up the same as if You did not have a router. The linksys really doesn't do anything with VPN, it just forwards the traffic.

I don't understand why your ISP is assigning you a VPN IP address. Who are you making the VPN connection to?

Hope this helps,
Dan

The problem that he cant configure the address of the pptp server. I am having the same problems. I have configured the address of the ADSL ISP box 10.0.0.138 I also need to configure that this is the pptp server. The link sys does not have a feild for that.
Anybody have a answer.

First off, I have found that it is much easier to have public IP addresses for both your DSL modem and Linksys router and have your ISP make the modem have the same WAN and LAN address.
For instance

DSL Modem
WAN IP: 123.456.789.1011
LAN IP: 123.456.789.1011
(This makes your modem 'transparent' concerning incoming and outgoing requests)

Linksys router
WAN IP: 123.456.789.1012 (assigned to you by your ISP)
LAN IP: 192.168.1.x
Default Gateway: 123.456.789.1011

I suggest that if your network is on the 192.168.1.x network scheme, that you have the LAN IP of the Linksys to be 192.168.2.1 and have a one NIC card in the server be 192.168.2.2 and another NIC card being 192.168.1.2 .
This adds security so that if outsiders break into your system, they can only access that one computer and it also allows other internal computers on the network to access the server.

Some Linksys configuration settings you need:
Click on the Advanced tab at the top
Under the filters tab, you want everything disabled except for PPTP pass-through.
Under Forwarding, you want to forward TCP port 1723 to the IP address of the server.
Under DMZ, enter the IP of the server.

Now all thats left is to setup your PPTP server.
One way to do this is described in this Microsoft brief: . The setup in WinXP is very similar, if not identical, to the setup for W2k.

Hope this helps

For working with Bezeq in Israel.

You need to download the latest 1.42.7 firmware from linksys.
Then restore factory defaults from the password page.
Go to the setup page and select PPTP as the wan type.
Enter the IP address that Bezek gave you and the netmask.
Put 10.0.0.138 as your default gateway (This is instead of specifying the ip address of the PPTP server )
Enter the User & Password (dont forget the @XXXX at the end of the username.)
Go to the advanced -> filters page and
Disable Multicast Pass Through
Enable PPTP Pass Through.

Bill

yah......ive had problems running server 2000, with a static ip assigned to my place,,,,
with lynsys befsr41 4 port
i set it all up the way your suppose to by reading directions,,,,,then....then i try to veiw web page from my server and the password interface comes up......i"ll even set tcp/ip to 192.168.1.100
then sometimes it work,,,add a gif or jpeg to my website
boom the routers interface comes up......
what on ungodly wrong am i doing.....?
i called lyncsys they could not help...they said go to there web page,,,,,knowlege base which was a dead link

thanks webrocker....

yah......ive had problems running server 2000, with a static ip assigned to my place,,,,
with lynsys befsr41 4 port
i set it all up the way your suppose to by reading directions,,,,,then....then i try to veiw web page from my server and the password interface comes up......i"ll even set tcp/ip to 192.168.1.100
then sometimes it work,,,add a gif or jpeg to my website
boom the routers interface comes up......
what on ungodly wrong am i doing.....?
i called lyncsys they could not help...they said go to there web page,,,,,knowlege base which was a dead link

thanks webrocker....

ok not to add to the mess thats going on here but...

Im trying to set up a vpn so i can connect (through internet) to my server(to access my data base from home. I have a linksys router and am running windows ME on my home pc and running windows NT server on the office server. now the router is hooked up. working fine(as far as the internet is concerned). but i tried to pull up the router interface ( by typing in internet explorer 192.168.1.1) and i get windows nt server help menu???????????? what in the world can i do to get connected remotely...

I am currently using pcanywhere to take control of my workstation at work from home. but it limits me to thing i can do. any help would be greatly appriciated
:):)

I'm using a linksys befsr41 and would like to remote manage it i.e, shut down ports, from my work. i try to access my roadrunner ip address (which does change occasionally since it is dynamic) and can not access the router.. i have added ":8080" for a port address, but it doesn't make any difference. i have checked the remote management enable in the setup for the router. is there a port setting i am missing......do i have to forward port 8080 to 192.168.1.1.......
perplexed..

jme751,
You do not have to forward anything. It sounds like you've done everything you need to do.
Can you ping your IP address? What browser are you using? And what are you typing for the address? I've found that if you don't include the http:// in IE it will not work.

You should have something like:

Also, did you make sure to un-check the Block Wan Request checkbox in the Linksys?

And for the love of Pete, make sure you changed the Linksys from the factory default!

Bill,

I am refereing to your entry post Jul 29.
I am trying to get a Linksys BEFW11S4 working with Netvision. I installed the v1.42.7 firware, did all the setting as required but get a "PPTP authentication fail"message when I try to connect.
Obviously my username & password are ok. Everything works fine when I use a Netgear MR314 to connect instead.

Any suggestions how to solve the problem. Thx you
/Philippe

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back