Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

VPN Phone works at one site not at another?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FrankSmith

Vendor
Aug 15, 2008
US
Configured and tested a vpn phone shipped it the site phone will not get passed phase 1. Shipped and tested a 2nd phone same result.

Customer is on Time Warner/Road Runner in Ohio plugged directly into some Motorola router.

Phone is set to DHCP but when plugged in it will not grab an IP. Statically set the phone still doesn't work. Do I need to make modifications to the motorola router? Open ports ect. We never rebooted the router. I think that's my next step.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Port isue on the Motorla?
Is port 1719 open

y1pzZTEUdok1vrI5cLb3FdPX4PgTPlSONkb5WPjz0x50etSujaMSmhdRCbOx9vASnrRNzzXv0IxNQA

Hm.. I use Time Warner/Road Runner at home and have constant issues with the VPN phone I have there. I'll look into it a bit and figure out if something is up, but I'm not behind a firewall at home, so no blocked ports. So it might just be coincidence, but I'll screw around a bit with my VPN at phone to see if I can find anything.

However I can usually connect for a while, but once every hour or so the phone will lose its VPN connection and takes a good 10-15 minutes to finally succesfully reconnect.

Thx for the input. When the end user gets back into town I'll get into the router. Time warner told us that we could admin the router gave us the default password. So I'll check on it.

IPXTech,

Do you have the same motorola router? Our customer def will not be happy if the phone bounces that often. Do you have residential or business?

Thx again...

Residential, so I'm not sure what you are working with, since VPN phones are useful for both situations, really.

I do have a Motorola, however, I'm not sure on the model. I'll check when I get a chance, as I am at the office currently.

this customer has residential as well was just wondering if we have like for like.

IPXTech,
Have you checked the lifetime on the VPN connection. You can set it up to like 5 days.

Kevin Wing
ACA- Implement IP Office
Carousel Industries

It its IP in the same range as the system you are trying to remote it to?

For instance, in my experience, if your home system uses 192.168.1.X for its IP addresses, then the remote location has to use something different, like 192.168.2.X. If they both use 192.168.1.X it won't work, in my experience anyway. Perhaps someone here knows a way around that.

I have the same setup and it also doesn't work. RR with VPN phone with a motorola sbg900 (RR supplied). Can't get passed phase 1. confirmed that the phone will work with other carriers. Another weird issue... The phone will not get DHCP from this router. how ever when staticaly assigned the phone can be pinged from the local network. This customer also has a laptop plugged into the same modem using microsoft vpn client to connect to the home office. the vpn client works flawless.

Could it be that the router at the home office will only allow one inbound connection from a particular public address?

I was in the motorola router.

The firewall is disabled
NAT is enable
Just for grins I enabled port forwarded on 1719/1720 to the static of the phone

I really need this to go away if anyone has any help it would be greatly greatly appreciated.

Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm currently dealing with the same issue.

We're an Avaya dealer and my boss is renting a house for a month near his son's school in NC. Anyways, the house is equipped with a Motorola SBG900 which terminates the cable and acts as a modem/gateway with built in wireless as well as a LAN port.

We sent him down with a VPN phone which was extensively tested on a variety of LANs. I can tell you we have the exact same issue. The phone will not get an address via DHCP/BOOTP from the gateway. If you statically assign the information then the phone is reachable on the LAN (ping tests via a laptop on the wireless network) however the phone cannot establish an outbound connection to the VPN server.

I've check the logs on our end and done some packet monitoring. We don't see ANY connection attempts from the phone on our end which leads me to believe it's not passing the gateway.

Without a hub/wireshark there's not much else I can do for testing at this point but I wanted to confirm what I've seen.

I've tried a variety of changes on the SBG900 (which is connected to roadrunner) that I found online for making a "VPN Work" however most of the stuff are things the SBG900 has set by default.

I found this thread via google so I thought I would add to it incase someone else has this issue. As it stands we can't resolve it.

Ironically we have a tech going out to this site today along with another tested phone along with 2 engineers to work both routers. I’ll update…

Had this same problem with a BT home hub - tested the phone in our office and when the customer plugged it in it didnt work. No matter what changes were made to the home hub it still wouldnt work - put a brand new belkin in and the phone worked first time.

we were able to get the phone to work by assigning a dhcp reservation with no firewall or firewall pass thru permission on the motorola router.

Seems to work OK now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back